Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hi-Lift install on the JK

Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 48" Hi-Lift jack today from Quadratec. I'm rather disappointed--the bottom pin binds--I pretty much have to slam the handle up to get the bottom pin to walk.

I don't think it should be as tight as it is--gonna call Quadratec tomorrow to see if they'll replace it. The jack works (jacked up the JK in the driveway), but it's a hassle raising the jack w/o a load. Anyone else run into this with a Hi-Lift jack?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi lifts need at least 30 pounds on the jack to make them work.

Hi lifts are way over rated as far as I'm concerned. A good bottle jack will do just as good and a hole lot safer.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:26 AM
JK Newbie

Once my jack comes in I think I'll need to get creative with a mount position. I don't want to mount it vertically as then I won't be able to pull my Jeep in the garage at night.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:48 AM
JK Freak

I like it.....I will go that route as well I think..

For now this how mine is stored.......I took it apart and and zip tied the "shaft" to the bottom legs of the rear seat...Everything else is stored in the rear storage cubby hole...

Old 04-19-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by IGOFSHN
Hi lifts need at least 30 pounds on the jack to make them work.

Hi lifts are way over rated as far as I'm concerned. A good bottle jack will do just as good and a hole lot safer.
Have you ever tried a bottle jack on the trail? Or ANY dirt at all for that matter>???? The AEV lack base is a cool idea but still seems like too much risk for me to crawl under my off camber vehicle to place a lack under there.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough stuff has a hood hinge mount its very solid, I've seen it, they make them for TJ's and dont require drilling, you can easily take the jack or even shovel off the mount when not 4wheelin

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=40521
Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schwarzjp
I just got my 48" Hi-Lift jack today from Quadratec. I'm rather disappointed--the bottom pin binds--I pretty much have to slam the handle up to get the bottom pin to walk.

I don't think it should be as tight as it is--gonna call Quadratec tomorrow to see if they'll replace it. The jack works (jacked up the JK in the driveway), but it's a hassle raising the jack w/o a load. Anyone else run into this with a Hi-Lift jack?
I'm told the new ones are different from the old ones in that you can't just raise the handle and slide it up or down freely. I've heard the new ones have to go one holde at a time (and may need a minimum load). Just chalk this one up to our litigation-crazy society. Mine is old and rusty, but I"m going to keep it as long as I can 'cause it's nice to just raise the handle and slam it up or down quickly.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

here is my high lift mounting inside.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Freak

nice install. are you worried about rust on the future?

or is that a stupid question
Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default Ham & CB Mounts

Originally Posted by lwhitsell
Looks good! I like it.

Hey, any chance you could take a few pictures of your antenna mount? I will be installing a ham radio and cb within the next month, but I haven't decided where to mount the antenna.

No rush, but if you happen to get the camera out again....
Thanks,
LW
This is an expensive way to go but I love it. They're clean and sturdy and will handle getting hit buy brush. Go to HRO (ham radio outlet). They have mounts nmo's and antennas for both Ham and CB's. The mounts are made by Diamond Antenna. The mounts will work on the hood or the tailgate as they are capable of verticle or horizontal applications. I use larson nmo's (loaded bases) between the diamonds and the antenna's. I use Larson antennas, they are available for numerous frequency applications including CB. I have the ham mounted on the passengger side of the hood and the CB vertically mounted on the tailgate at the outer edge under the top hinge. The Diamonds also come with different lengths of RG-316 teflon coated coax which is very thin and can be slid under the hood or past the tailgate and under the carpet to the front of the vehicle with no holes necessary. You will need adapters between the RG 316 and the radios. The attaching set screws (4) screw thru the paint to the metal providing the ground. The 13.5 ft cable will work if you mount your CB on the LH side of the console. I dont know about the hood coax length (added to a short piece of RX using some coax I had on hand when I installed the ham (on the top of the dash) in the dummy gps accessory plate. You will not need non-ground plain antennas but you will need to borrow an SWR meter and dial in the antenna lengths. Hope this has been helpfull. Sorry, but I couldn't figure out how to add pics (new to this site) but if you PM me I'll Email you some.

Last edited by Bruce K; 04-22-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Hi-Lift install on the JK