Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hi from Down Under!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Ste
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi from Down Under!

Hi, as a brand spanking newbie (both to the forum and JK ownership) I thought I'd post an introduction and pose a question...

I've got a 2010, 2 door, Auto JK with standard 17" alloys and have already had some great fun on the local beaches, dunes and bush tracks here in sunny WA. I've added some very basic mods (grab handles, grille kit, 'Renegade' decals, bonnet and tail gate protectors, slush mats etc...) and am considering my next step...

I'm thinking of a 2" Old Man Emu lift and wonder if anyone else on here has done a similar lift but kept the stock wheels? May consider bigger tyres down the line but don't want to have to change gearing etc. What are the biggest AT tyres that can be fitted on the stock rims without affecting the gearing?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 06:52 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Welcome. If you haven't found the FAQ's yet, that is a great place to start. (stickied to the top of this modified area)

For how big you can go without re-gearing - it is totally personal preference. But, all flat, or lots of hills? What is your opinion of your current power? How much weight are you adding? And - having an auto is a big negative to not re-gearing.

Without a re-gear, you're probably safe with 33's. With permanent OD/Off, you may not hate 35's. Any bigger, and plan on gears.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:03 PM
Ste
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Currently happy with power (though more is always good!). The JK's my daily drive so don't want to over mod it. Off road use limited to weekends, mostly sand, some decent hills/dunes etc... Stock, it's performed pretty well so far on the standard Goodyear P245/75 R17's. Defo don't want to go bigger than 33's...oh, and not planning on adding much weight, at least not yet...
Old 01-19-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the forum

Quick Reply: Hi from Down Under!