Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hey guys have a question about controls arms

Old 04-19-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys have a question about controls arms

Ok So i have a the rough country 3.5" lift kit that as Im sure you know comes with the replacement front control arms. I have had the kit for like 4-5 months I have probably on put on MAYBE 1500 miles on it since its been in.
Well here is my issue.
I have been chasing down a bumpsteer and death wobble problem for the past few months, pretty much since i got the kit in. I came with a dropped pitman arm and at the frame drop track bar mount. Since I have never been a fan of drops and thought maybe that was causing the problem, I ended up buying a Teraflex Monster HD front track bar and I ditched the drop pit and put the stock one on, as did I take off the drop bracket for the track bar. Was I correct in doing this?Also I have changed the drag link, tie rods, put a new stabilizer on you name it.

Well the other day I was at the gas station and I was waiting on my wife to come out of the store and I was walking round the jeep just looking it over and I was at the from driver side tire, I rocker the tire forward and backward and something caught my eye. When i was rocking the tire I noticed it was moving a LOT and I watched the axle and it was moving..
So when my wife came out I had here rock the tire as I was and I crawled under the jeep and looked at the bushings in the control arms and the were moving forward and backward just as she was moving the tire... So that seems wrong to me. Should they be that sloppy?? I meant sh*t thats what holds the front end in place! So I am assuming if the move that much forward and backwards they must be moving that much side to side as well??
And that would def be a hinderance and cause the bumpsteer and dw that I have had... What do you guys think? I knew I should have waited and spent more on a higher quality kit@!! Thanks for any help and suggestions!

Last edited by mainejeep; 04-19-2011 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 04-19-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Super Freak

phew... that's a little tough to read ^^^ without spaces. brevity is key on here. we all have very short attention spans

•from what I've read on here, ditching the dropped pitman arm and bracket is probably for the best.

•is everything torqued down? trackbar, control arms, etc?

•as for DW - check out planman's thread on DW. its a great place to start.

Last edited by m(a)ce; 04-19-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: found link to planman's post
Old 04-19-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed. I would start with this write up.

Originally Posted by m(a)ce
phew... that's a little tough to read ^^^ without spaces. brevity is key on here. we all have very short attention spans

•from what I've read on here, ditching the dropped pitman arm and bracket is probably for the best.

•is everything torqued down? trackbar, control arms, etc?

•as for DW - check out planman's thread on DW. its a great place to start.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

No,,,,,you should not have that much play in your control arms. CM
Old 04-19-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

I solved my Death Wobble just this week. The lower control arms had sloppy hiem joints. TeraFlex rebuilt the arms, end of the Death Wobble. If you can see movment in your arms I would start there. Good Luck.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I solved my Death Wobble just this week. The lower control arms had sloppy hiem joints. TeraFlex rebuilt the arms, end of the Death Wobble. If you can see movment in your arms I would start there. Good Luck.
I had horrible death wobble almost anytime over 30 mph! Same problem as this.

Quick Reply: Hey guys have a question about controls arms