Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Here's my goal. How do I get there? ('10 2-door Sport)

Old 03-29-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stlfan06
2.5" coil lifts will typically yield higher than that (3-3.5").

If you don't plan on replacing components such as adj. trackbars, control arms, driveshafts,etc.....I would recommend sticking with:
(1) 2.5" BB(budget boost)
(2) Leveling kit(2" front, 1" rear)
(3) or something like a 2" LIGHT duty OME coil....

Just my thoughts
I completely agree with the above...my Rubi has the std. OME lift, and while I gained a little over the TF BB, it was nowhere near where the TF 2.5" spring lift would have been, and I am completely happy with that. I did add JKS trackbars, but just because I am too picky about centered axles.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

I have a '10 Sport as well. For tires, I put 265/75-16 M/T's on my stock steelies. The height is 32", or about what stock Wrangler tires are when it comes with 17's. With our lousy 3.21 gears, I didn't want to go any bigger.

As for "lift", a buddy with an Unlimited Rubi w/ tow package is doing a lift so I'm going to put on his springs and shocks. Should raise it 1-1.5", I think. Any higher probably wouldn't look good w/ my 32's.

That setup will last me until I decide to do 35's, 5.13's, and a real lift. In the meantime, I think it'll be pretty capable.

I also, de-stickered, cut the front bumper, and cut off the 3rd brakelight and put on a Wilson antenna in its place (yes, there's a CB inside ). It's looking all business.

Last edited by tslewisz; 03-30-2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the "standard" (as opposed to HD) OME coils part nos. OME 616 and 618?

I also don't want a ton of lift. glwood6's solution sounds about right to me.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would agree with ECHO if you are never going to tow anything with your jeep which if you are leveling the jk would make the jeep squat once you put like a tray or anything heavy on the hitch, also if you have a budget to deal with and the gearing is what was mentioned before about 3.21. If the gearing is 4.11 and you are really not going to be putting any winches or any monstrosity heavy bumper then I would go for a 2.5BB like TeraFlex and put on a 285x70 tire which will give you about 34.8" height and you would need some spacers and track bars because your axels will shift. You kinda have to do some more homework and come up with a more narrowed down game plan as to what you want to do with your jk for any of the folks to guide you as to where and which way to go. " Lucy..... you have some esplaining to do " ! Good luck, you'll get it done.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
I would agree with ECHO if you are never going to tow anything with your jeep which if you are leveling the jk would make the jeep squat once you put like a tray or anything heavy on the hitch, also if you have a budget to deal with and the gearing is what was mentioned before about 3.21. If the gearing is 4.11 and you are really not going to be putting any winches or any monstrosity heavy bumper then I would go for a 2.5BB like TeraFlex and put on a 285x70 tire which will give you about 34.8" height and you would need some spacers and track bars because your axels will shift. You kinda have to do some more homework and come up with a more narrowed down game plan as to what you want to do with your jk for any of the folks to guide you as to where and which way to go. " Lucy..... you have some esplaining to do " ! Good luck, you'll get it done.
A 285/70 is not 34.8" tall? Not even in 285/70/17 - its closer to 33" and this guy only has 16" wheels so a 285/70/16 would be closer to 32"?

Also, he probably would not *need* trackbars with a 2.5" lift. Many people are running without them (including myself on a 2.5" coil life) just fine. It would give you more adjustability and maybe some better handling, but mine handles better than OEM.

I would just suggest to this guy to get a solid quality 2.5" lift kit (teraflex, OME, even rough country I like mine and the cust service was good when i did have a problem), and some 33" tires. But even some 32" stock rubi BFG takeoffs might suit him the way it sounds and less worry about gearing issues. 33s should be bearable no matter the gear, but would be better if you had 4.10s (doubtful with a base?). If you have a 6spd and get the 33s, just be ready to stay out of 6th sometimes, LOL.

Probably won't be happy otherwise spending the money and not getting much change. A leveling kit and 31" tires - change will be minimal but you'll still need to spent the coin to do it. For a little more, a 2.5" lift and 33s will be a noticable change, but far from outlandish as a lot of people are running 35-37s on daily driven, modded JKs.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

This was taken right after I installed my OME lift. It does level out the rake. The tires are 31" (255/75R17) if I remember correctly. I think that you will want 33's to fill the VOID.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chrisfetz

This was taken right after I installed my OME lift. It does level out the rake. The tires are 31" (255/75R17) if I remember correctly. I think that you will want 33's to fill the VOID.
Theoretically a 255/75/17 is 32" if you go according to the conversion calculators. Closer to 31" once you get the weight of the vehicle on them, but most people go with the theoretical measurements LOL. Most 35s measure 34" for example once weighed down and at 30psi, but noone says they are running 34s...

EDIT: That OME looks like it gave you more than 2.5" though (maybe even 3.5"?)... a budget boost wouldn't give him this problem, he knows exactly what he will get based on spacer width.

Also my RC 2.5" coil lift gave me a true 2.5", not more...
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I stand corrected 285x75 is 34.8" tall tire.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Teraflex leveling kit and Rubicon take offs. The leveling kit will even the rake and give you a bit of lift, without impacting the ride. The Rubicon take offs are really good tires 32 inches tall and they work really well. You can get them for 1/2 the price of new tires and they are already mounted on some good looking rims. You should be able to do it all for around $650.
Tom
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Easyryder01
I stand corrected 285x75 is 34.8" tall tire.
Maybe I'm doing the calculations wrong.

285 * 0.75 * 2 / 25.4 + 17 = 33.8"

OP-

Just get flatties and 33's. No lift necessary, and you will have no problems with components or warranty.

Quick Reply: Here's my goal. How do I get there? ('10 2-door Sport)