Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi Swap Thoughts and Stuff

Old 04-13-2021, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Yemx
Small correction on the front track bar- I meant Synergy... Only because I'm interested in using their sector shaft brace kit.

I'm open to suggestions! What shocks would you suggest over the Falcons? I only chose them because of the adjustability and you can rebuild them.
The 6.4 liter Hemi I used was about 250 pounds heavier than the 3,6 Liter that was in the Jeep. That's according to All - Par. Not a big deal as mentioned above 1" spacer.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WELL!! I very much appreciate all of the info!! It's extra helpful, considering y'all have already used the parts in question. Metalcloak track bars it is then!

Karls10JK- I'd only be using poly bushings for the control arm ends- front upper and rear lower... Is the harshness really that bad? I ran poly bushings on a lowered S10 YEARS ago, and other than the squeaking, I actually liked them. I was only thinking of poly bushings for the remaining factory control arms because they require less maintenance and last longer. Maybe I'll just get new rubber bushings- they're cheaper anyway...

Scubatech- If the info I've been able to find online is relatively accurate, the 5.7 Hemi is around 100-150 lbs heavier than the 3.8 I have.

All very good info, 'preciate y'all!! Please keep the info comin'!

Old 04-13-2021, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The harshness was pretty bad, they where for motor mounts on my TJ. I didn't keep it long after putting them in- between the vibes and the AC going out (combined with a 3 speed auto behind a 4cyl)- I was done. Sold that and got into the JK.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:05 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
(combined with a 3 speed auto .
We get more and more spoiled don't we. I'd be scared to even drive one of the 8-speed transmissions. Can't fathom the difference that is over my 5-spd.
The following users liked this post:
karls10jk (04-14-2021)
Old 04-15-2021, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
We get more and more spoiled don't we. I'd be scared to even drive one of the 8-speed transmissions. Can't fathom the difference that is over my 5-spd.
Apparently the difference is pretty big- RPM at cruising is lower, no feeling of "hunting for gears", down shifts are more smooth... I like what I'm reading and seeing about the 8 speed... But I'm afraid of test driving a Hemi w/8 speed. I'd probably want one, especially after this dismal 4 speed behind the 3.8L. I WISH a transmission swap kit could be made for the 3.8L. But I really don't see it happening. Jeep Speed Shop is supposedly working on a 8 speed conversion for the 3.6L though.
Old 04-15-2021, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
The harshness was pretty bad, they where for motor mounts on my TJ. I didn't keep it long after putting them in- between the vibes and the AC going out (combined with a 3 speed auto behind a 4cyl)- I was done. Sold that and got into the JK.
Well, that'll save me some money then- I'll just get standard replacement bushings for the factory control arms then. Or maybe just get new control arms altogether when the time comes. I just looked at how much bushings cost, and they're half the cost of a new factory control arm assembly... I've got a little over 90k, and the originals are still good. So maybe new arms would be easier. *shrug* I'll worry about it when then time comes.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Yemx - if you are lifting 3" or more then you need the control arms now - lowers at minimum. Recommend what I have IE MC. Do not use poly bushings - they crack and squeak even if you use silicon grease. MC have their own bushing design that is rebuildable.

Resharp - the 8 speed Chev auto in my Jeep is actually in my opinion from (using clutches for the last 50 years guy) heaps better than my manual it replaced. I mostly drive in low range and gear lever in D believe it or not. It even engine brakes going down steep inclines and selects the correct gear for the creep speed where I have to add throttle some times.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
Yemx - if you are lifting 3" or more then you need the control arms now - lowers at minimum. Recommend what I have IE MC. Do not use poly bushings - they crack and squeak even if you use silicon grease. MC have their own bushing design that is rebuildable.
I'm getting MC adjustable lower front and upper rear control arms from the get-go. Makes setting pinion angles easier. I'm only lifting 2.5", but feel the upgrade is worth the money. I'll check out MC to see about those rebuildable bushings. I would be ecstatic if they have rebuildable bushings that go into factory control arms.

EDIT: Just got off the phone w/MC. They do NOT have rebuildable bushings that go into factory control arms. Poop. Oh well!

Last edited by Yemx; 04-15-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I was referring to the bushings in the MC arms. I do not believe they work in standard Jeep arms.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sixty4x4
I was referring to the bushings in the MC arms. I do not believe they work in standard Jeep arms.
Correct- MC doesn't make bushings to go into factory arms. I'll just get replacement rubber bushings when the time comes. The rubber bushings are pricier than I'd like, but still cheaper than a set of new factory arms. I flat-out don't NEED a full set of adjustable control arms for my build. I'm trying to be honest with myself about what I'm actually going to do with this rig other than daily drive it. I surely don't want to end up building a mall crawler. But certain parts choices due to the V8 swap lead to other parts choices. It's a vicious cycle! LOL

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap Thoughts and Stuff