Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi Swap Thoughts and Stuff

Old 04-12-2021, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi Swap Thoughts and Stuff

So I've been debating what I want to do with my Jeep ('07 JKUR), and I've finally decided on a 5.7L VVT swap. There's 2 kits I've been looking at (maybe they're the only 2 kits?): Jeep Speed Shop, and the AEV kit. I've been trying to find info comparing the two, and will continue to look- but if anyone has thoughts on either of them, I'd appreciate the insight. There's got to be a reason (other than name) for a $2k difference in price

For those that have done a Hemi swap- what suspension are you running? What I'm after is a 2.5" lift. Not too sure which way to go w/the added weight of the engine and trans. I was going to go w/Rock Krawler 2.5" lift springs, and Falcon 3.3 shocks. I'm going to get a LOD Destroyer rear bumper full width with tire carrier. The front bumper is going to be a Poison Spyder Brawler mid-width. I only mention the bumpers because of added weight. I'm hoping I don't have to run coilovers in the front to compensate for any sag due to weight.

Oh- another question- w/the 5.7L and 545RFE trans, will 4.10's be fine w/33's? I don't particularly want to go larger, but if I do, I won't go larger than 35's.

I'm trying to gather as much info as possible to make a solid game plan for the swap. I won't be doing anything real serious until after November- so I have some time. But once the Jeep is paid off, I would like to start getting into the swap more seriously. I'd like to get as much done in one go as possible. TIA for any/all help
Old 04-12-2021, 10:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I suspect you've seen JK Gear and Gadgets recent hemi swap on YouTube? He covered the products from Jeep Speed Shop decently in the couple videos covering his swap.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
I suspect you've seen JK Gear and Gadgets recent hemi swap on YouTube? He covered the products from Jeep Speed Shop decently in the couple videos covering his swap.
Haha. Since watching those videos I want to do the swap too. One day when my engine dies I’ll likely put a Hemi in mine too.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Yep! That's what really got me thinking about the V8 swap again- plus the new factory V8 option... I was comparing prices of various routes, and the "cheapest" way to get what I want would be to do a V8 swap. Though, JK Gear and Gadgets did a 6.4 w/a 8-speed. I'm definitely not going that route. That's more money than I want to spend... I'll probably end up going the Jeep Speed route for the kit, because I simply cannot find anything to justify the extra $2k AEV charges.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

I run standard Ruby 4:10 gears on 33" tires and with the 355HP 5.3 Chev it pulls you back in the seat fairly hard. As for the lift just install the kit you buy and be ready to dismantle one end or the other to install a spacer. There is no exact science for determining lift stance. I lucked out with 2.5" MC springs but the Chev engine is 90lbs lighter than the Hemi. All the best as this is a trying exercise swapping the motor. Dedication, dedication and money are the 3 things you need. Only good thing is your Jeep ECU works with a hemi compared to the 3 ECU's I have and an interface board to link Chev and Jeep but it has worked flawless so far.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:20 AM
JK Newbie

Sweet... Sixty4x4, you're right- I'll just send it and adjust as needed... Basic overall plan:

Jeep Speed Shop CARB legal 5.7L kit.
Metalcloak F&R 2.5" lift springs
Falcon 3.3 shocks
Metalcloak lower front and upper rear control arms (factory arms get polyurethane bushings)
Synergy front track bar

I'm not going to list every little lift component. Suffice it to say, it'll be a mix of parts. I'm going to keep the 4.10 gearing for now. I'll also be upgrading the brakes to larger ones. I think for now, this is a solid overall plan. Thoughts?

Last edited by Yemx; 04-13-2021 at 04:29 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:27 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Bit off-topic, but why not stick with MC for the front TB? I'm really happy with the bushings they use in their TB. I'd also note most will tell you to save the money on the Falcon shocks, but we all want what we want.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:33 AM
JK Newbie

Bit off-topic, but why not stick with MC for the front TB? I'm really happy with the bushings they use in their TB. I'd also note most will tell you to save the money on the Falcon shocks, but we all want what we want.
Small correction on the front track bar- I meant Synergy... Only because I'm interested in using their sector shaft brace kit.

I'm open to suggestions! What shocks would you suggest over the Falcons? I only chose them because of the adjustability and you can rebuild them.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Back in the day I had that synergy TB and sector shaft brace. I ran RK springs, and that brace rubbed the crap out of the coils right here where the sector shaft brace bolts to the TB bracket. It was a common issue with anything other than Synergy coils as I think theirs were a touch more narrow. I had the Synergy TB as well and when the frame side joint crapped the bed (back when they all used poly bushings) I removed it, and removed the sector shaft brace as well so I could run a different TB. I chopped those tabs off the TB brace and still have that portion. I think what I would say is if you are really worried about bending a sector shaft, think low-end hydro like a Red Neck Ram from West Texas Offroad instead. At the very least, research using that brace with Metalcloak coils cuz you'd be pissed to install that all and then find it's jacking up your brand new springs. I don't think I'd be worried about the sector shaft unless you were running 40" tires and doing technical wheeling in the rocks.....at which point you'd have hydro anyhow.

Once the sector shaft brace is bolted to the outside of that TB brace, the metal is twice as thick too. It was fine on the pavement, but when the front axle would articulate the spring gets a little wonky on compression and would get into that brace......on the back side there if I recall. It really wore the tab of the brace and made my spring look like crap.
Old 04-13-2021, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I'd caution against poly bushings- I had them for motor mounts and you felt every single vibration. Regarding the Metalcloak track bar and their bushings- all yes. I put in their rear track bar and you shouldn't feel any difference but the factory tb vs this one- smooth as butter and it's a little more cushy. I don't know why I've waited so long to install it when it's been in my garage for 18ish months.

Quick Reply: Hemi Swap Thoughts and Stuff