Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8

Old 09-26-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone actually done the 3.8 stroker mentioned before?
Old 09-26-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panhead5
Considering that the 3.6 was supposed to be like the holy grail boasting higher torque and horsepower it's a total joke .I forgot the last time I was 4 wheeling into the 5-6k RPM range .I agree it performs a little better than the 3.8 but I think most of the performance gains actually come from the 5 speed transmission.

On a side note I test drive the 3.6 twice a year hoping for something I can't live without but it never happens.
Agreed!!! I test drove a new rubi with 4.10 an a 6spd an wasn't impressed the 3.6 only make HP around 5k an who drives like that. So for me yeah the 3.8 isn't the greatest motor but its tried an tested an with maintenance an keeping up on wear parts you shouldn't have any issues
Old 09-27-2013, 03:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
And that's a badass minivan. My point is I no longer feel like I'm driving a minivan. But, with almost 300 hp I think I see a jacked up town and country in my future.
NOw your talkin! strip the interior and make an overland van! ha ha! We get a cut if AEV makes one!...
Old 09-27-2013, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scruff
Has anyone actually done the 3.8 stroker mentioned before?
It's a new kit, but that aside, Offroad Evolution is now completing the 4.0/4.9 stroker version (on 9-25-13) and rumor has it, that they are looking into doing the 3.8 soon.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Last edited by RodCyn; 09-27-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viking
I have a 07 JK 3.8 Motor has 165000km on it with no problems. None of the oil leak problems. I have no problems with the power , little as it is , put with 5:13 gears i have enough torque. What i don't have is that power on the freeways going 100km or better. My plan was always going to do a new hemi transmission transplant. Giving it a new power plant and do a frame off resto . A lot of money. I recently seen a aev supercharger install. Very nice and a third of the cost. Now what is the opinion of you's guys on which way to go. The supercharger will have enough power for me as I am a slow cruiser. Or should i be thinking of the hemi and do a total overhaul. Is it worth the extra cash for all that power in the hemi ? Are the guys with the supercharger happy with it. Is the power more then enough for that extra boost on the highway. Thanks for any info.
For the cost you would put in to a Hemi swap and the mileage on your 3.8, I would rebuild your 3.8 with all forged internals and SC it and push your boost up into the 15-20 psi range. You would end up spending a lot less and have roughly the same power as the Hemi. Just sayin'

Quick Reply: Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8