Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8

Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hemi is sexy but there is nothing better than a good supercharger spooning up
Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Funny --I 've been studying and thinking this same thing for close to a year with a JK that has 71,000 miles.For me I want the factory look and diagnostics of the Hemi install but then I'm a mechanic by trade.Ripp and Magnuson appear to be good but I really don't want to have bolt on stuff on my engine especially on an engine that wasn't so great to start with.There is no replacement for displacement though. Financially ,the smartest thing is for me to buy a new one with the 3.6 with no miles and a factory warranty but have you ever driven a 3.6 ??? Not much more power than the 3.8 until 6K !!!! Completely unimpressed !!

Not sure what I'm going to do but good luck in your decision.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Panhead5
Funny --I 've been studying and thinking this same thing for close to a year with a JK that has 71,000 miles.For me I want the factory look and diagnostics of the Hemi install but then I'm a mechanic by trade.Ripp and Magnuson appear to be good but I really don't want to have bolt on stuff on my engine especially on an engine that wasn't so great to start with.There is no replacement for displacement though. Financially ,the smartest thing is for me to buy a new one with the 3.6 with no miles and a factory warranty but have you ever driven a 3.6 ??? Not much more power than the 3.8 until 6K !!!! Completely unimpressed !! Not sure what I'm going to do but good luck in your decision.
What 3.6 are you driving? My '12 would run circles around my old '07. Night and day difference. The 3.6 actually has pep and allows you to get up and go when you need to, unlike the 3.8 minivan engine. Interesting that you really can't tell a difference. I felt it immediately. To each their own.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
What 3.6 are you driving? My '12 would run circles around my old '07. Night and day difference. The 3.6 actually has pep and allows you to get up and go when you need to, unlike the 3.8 minivan engine. Interesting that you really can't tell a difference. I felt it immediately. To each their own.
you know that the 3.6 is a MINIVAN engine too right?

Old 09-26-2013, 04:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
you know that the 3.6 is a MINIVAN engine too right?
When I say minivan I mean it drives like one. I don't care if it's the same engine that goes into a minivan, but at least make it drive differently. The 3.8 is/was a dog. That's my opinion.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:29 AM
JK Super Freak

In a perfect world i would go with a hemi or ls. frame up resto and bring the jeep back to new. Doing a new power plant ,i would want a stick also. I believe the ls is just auto for now. So me doing a v8 swap with a 60 in back the money will add up. Doing a supercharger i could do it 3times over with a extra 3.8 thrown in too. Now i have heard the aev supercharger run at idle and revved and did not sound whinny at all. Now that may change at highway speed. Waiting for the tease of the diesel that may or may not come well could be still a long time away. Leaning to the supercharger . with it the axle can stay a 44.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Soon my 6.4 will have a super charger,and to the reference to love the sound of a super charger spooling up only a turbo does that.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
When I say minivan I mean it drives like one. I don't care if it's the same engine that goes into a minivan, but at least make it drive differently. The 3.8 is/was a dog. That's my opinion.
again, the 3.6 drives like the 3.6 in the minivan. the 3.8 drives like the 3.8 in the minivan!
Old 09-26-2013, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
again, the 3.6 drives like the 3.6 in the minivan. the 3.8 drives like the 3.8 in the minivan!
And that's a badass minivan. My point is I no longer feel like I'm driving a minivan. But, with almost 300 hp I think I see a jacked up town and country in my future.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Considering that the 3.6 was supposed to be like the holy grail boasting higher torque and horsepower it's a total joke .I forgot the last time I was 4 wheeling into the 5-6k RPM range .I agree it performs a little better than the 3.8 but I think most of the performance gains actually come from the 5 speed transmission.

On a side note I test drive the 3.6 twice a year hoping for something I can't live without but it never happens.

Quick Reply: Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8