Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8

Old 09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PhxRainey
I did the RIPP SC and love it... I have talked to a lot of Hemi guys and all have told me the real cost to complete the engine swap was a lot closer to 20K The RIPP with the intercooler is about 5300 and you can install it in a day at your house.
Exactly what I did. For the money you can't beat Ripp. My JKU is running strong, gonna hit 100k miles this week. If the motor fails, I'll swap in another 3.8 and still have less in it than a V8 swap. Supercharger install completed by myself with new exhaust in about 6 hours. Not one performance issue, fault code or dash light issue. Looks cool, sounds cool and performs even better. Good luck with whatever you decide... Either way you will end up way better than stock! Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-184456197.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	500111  
Old 09-25-2013, 01:33 PM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

Lots of used Superchargers and Hemi's takeouts for sale from JK's coming up for sale..... for a reason.....
Do yourself a big favor and check out Motec LS swaps..ONLY option that makes any sense IMO.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Newbie

Go with the big 6.4
Old 09-25-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by CT2
Lots of used Superchargers and Hemi's takeouts for sale from JK's coming up for sale..... for a reason.....
Do yourself a big favor and check out Motec LS swaps..ONLY option that makes any sense IMO.

If I had the cash, I would go this route as well...... except I'm going to guess it's not CA smog legal.

As for the OP, The supercharger might not be a bad idea. Like someone mentioned before, run it in your current engine until it blows. Then buy another 3.8 for almost nothing and put your supercharger on that one. BUT..... V8s are bad ass, haha.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

There is no replacement for displacement..
I had the RIPP and now I have the Hemi vVT and it's awesome .. No comparison IMO
Old 09-25-2013, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys. I don't think i need a 8 as i drive like a 60 yr old not like in my youth. haha. i do like the idea that i can just buy another 3.8 . Now i read today about another report of a diesel option in 15 or 16. may be a option if it ever comes true. Buy a unlimited and use it as a tow jeep
Old 09-25-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by viking
Thanks guys. I don't think i need a 8 as i drive like a 60 yr old not like in my youth. haha. i do like the idea that i can just buy another 3.8 . Now i read today about another report of a diesel option in 15 or 16. may be a option if it ever comes true. Buy a unlimited and use it as a tow jeep
This is something that a lot of people (including myself) are eagerly awaiting. My fear is that it will be a $60k Wrangler or something ridiculous. Either way, you can always sell a supercharger later if you decide to go with another JK in a few years
Old 09-25-2013, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B 1000
If I had the cash, I would go this route as well...... except I'm going to guess it's not CA smog legal.

As for the OP, The supercharger might not be a bad idea. Like someone mentioned before, run it in your current engine until it blows. Then buy another 3.8 for almost nothing and put your supercharger on that one. BUT..... V8s are bad ass, haha.
The LS swaps CAN be made CA legal. There is a shop in Oceanside that installs the MoTech kit and does all the legwork with the DMV to ensure it is CARB compliant.

For the original Q, I'd recommend a V8 swap if you're going to keep the Jeep for a long time. When I had my Jeep converted to a 6.0L LS a few months back, there were no less than 3 other JKs in the shop having their supercharged V6 engines pulled and replaced with LS engines. The difference between stock and the LS engine is night and day. I actually have power to merge on the interstate or go up hills, it's been reliable, and gets the same MPG that the original 3.8L did.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02
Old 09-25-2013, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another option that you may want to consider. Been thinking about this for myself.

38SK 3.8L STROKER KIT
Old 09-25-2013, 08:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at both options for my '09. I looked at it first as if money was not issue which would I prefer. The Hemi was the first choice by a very large margin (probably larger than the price differential) but I couldn't easily flip the bill.

My questions about the SC were usable torque (below 3000 RPM), power smoothness and noise levels. I rode (not drove) once on the highway on a SC equipped JK for about 90 minutes. The noise level was obvious and too high pitched for my taste. The usable torque in my normal driving RPM range did not warrant the price tag but the power was quite smooth (no sudden onset). The driver knew I was considering buying an SC so he played around with acceleration once the power kicked it. No doubt it was a fun toy but for my driving habits it did not provide enough usable benefits. It reminded me of a stall converter my brother and installed on his Chevy II when we were in high school; fun but ...

Both can completely change the feel of the JK so it really depends on your personal preferences. If you are really torn, I would suggest you ride or even better drive each. That's the true acid test.

Quick Reply: Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8