Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8

Old 09-24-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8

I have a 07 JK 3.8 Motor has 165000km on it with no problems. None of the oil leak problems. I have no problems with the power , little as it is , put with 5:13 gears i have enough torque. What i don't have is that power on the freeways going 100km or better. My plan was always going to do a new hemi transmission transplant. Giving it a new power plant and do a frame off resto . A lot of money. I recently seen a aev supercharger install. Very nice and a third of the cost. Now what is the opinion of you's guys on which way to go. The supercharger will have enough power for me as I am a slow cruiser. Or should i be thinking of the hemi and do a total overhaul. Is it worth the extra cash for all that power in the hemi ? Are the guys with the supercharger happy with it. Is the power more then enough for that extra boost on the highway. Thanks for any info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	400149_757738607647025_2038370481_n.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	500044  
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

If it were me I would do the motor swap. However I would do an ls engine. You can get a complete swap for 14k installed. If your plan is to do it yourself you will save money. If you use a used drivetrain you can save even more.
Check out ls wrangler. They know what they are doing.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the RIPP SC and love it...

I have talked to a lot of Hemi guys and all have told me the real cost to complete the engine swap was a lot closer to 20K

The RIPP with the intercooler is about 5300 and you can install it in a day at your house.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there is no right or wrong answer. I would be nervous personally with supercharging a motor that already has quite a few miles on it. Packing more fuel/air in there is more stress on the motor period, and if it has any weak spots from wear, you will find out.

On the other hand even if you buy a slightly used hemi, tranny, and conversion kit and do it yourself you will have 10k or better into it. You could supercharge your 3.8, blow it up, and replace it for that kind of money.

I am a V-8 guy so no regrets on my hemi install 4 years ago. I seriously doubt a supercharged 3.8 would touch a 6.1 (or even 5.7 VVT) hemi from 0 mph until the wheels fall off. But I put near 16k into it.

Have you considered just trading in for a newer JK with the 3.6? If it does not have to be a V-8, and with your JK's mileage, thats what I would do.

Last edited by Yankee; 09-24-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about trading your jeep in for a new 3.6? Not sure if your jeep's paid off, but if it is you could probably get a new one for the cost of a hemi swap. I can't see spending that much on a jeep with such high mileage. Just my opinion though. Maybe mileage doesn't concern you as much as it does me.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbry311
What about trading your jeep in for a new 3.6? Not sure if your jeep's paid off, but if it is you could probably get a new one for the cost of a hemi swap. I can't see spending that much on a jeep with such high mileage. Just my opinion though. Maybe mileage doesn't concern you as much as it does me.
I agree. That's a pile of km's for an 07. I wouldn't spend 5k on supercharging a motor with 160K+ on it.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viking
I have a 07 JK 3.8 Motor has 165000km on it with no problems. None of the oil leak problems. I have no problems with the power , little as it is , put with 5:13 gears i have enough torque. What i don't have is that power on the freeways going 100km or better. My plan was always going to do a new hemi transmission transplant. Giving it a new power plant and do a frame off resto . A lot of money. I recently seen a aev supercharger install. Very nice and a third of the cost. Now what is the opinion of you's guys on which way to go. The supercharger will have enough power for me as I am a slow cruiser. Or should i be thinking of the hemi and do a total overhaul. Is it worth the extra cash for all that power in the hemi ? Are the guys with the supercharger happy with it. Is the power more then enough for that extra boost on the highway. Thanks for any info.
If you are looking to supercharge your Jeep, and are concerned by the amount of mileage on your vehicle. The best way to judge the condition of your 3.8 is to conduct a compression test and a cylinder leak down test, if the result fall within 10% over all 6 cylinders and maintain within 10-15% of OE new levels. you should not have any problems.

We have customer testimonials of over over 100,000 supercharged miles an some customers installing with over 80,000 miles on their vehicles with no adverse effects. If you maintained a regular and consistent service interval you should be fine.

RIPP
Old 09-24-2013, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hemi all the way BABY!!! Hell if I can get it done by a shop for $10,500.00 minus the 3.8L engine and tranny sell for $1,000.00, so really I only paid $9,500.00 with a AEV snorkel kit included, anyone can get it done. 5.7L engine and tranny was found on Craigslist for $1,000.00 from a 2010 Jeep Commander that was involved in a rollover accident.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hemi Installed 3.jpeg
Views:	386
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	500071   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2623864805.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	500072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clean Hemi and Tranny Pic 2.jpeg
Views:	352
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	500073   Click image for larger version

Name:	AEV Kit 19NOV12 v2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	500074  
Old 09-24-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Love my 07 and have no plans to buy new. Built to the way i like it. As for the 3.8 motor, i feel it is a good motor with good compression. Never abused. I guess it comes down to dollars and cents. Is the power increase as good as they claim on the supercharger?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by viking
Love my 07 and have no plans to buy new. Built to the way i like it. As for the 3.8 motor, i feel it is a good motor with good compression. Never abused. I guess it comes down to dollars and cents. Is the power increase as good as they claim on the supercharger?
Best of luck whatever you decide. If you have any specific questions, you can call us!

RIPP

Quick Reply: Hemi or Supercharger replacement for 3.8