Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi Milage

Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
Go read the window sticker on a Dodge truck. 15 and 19 just like our Jeeps.
The Jeep, as heavy as it is, has got to be lighter than a full size Dodge truck. Although the Jeep may be more of a brick than the PU so who knows. On the other hand anybody who is doing a Hemi is probably adding a lot of other stuff so maybe the Jeep gets close to the truck in weight.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hulk when you gonna get your green butt out here and wheel in somethin' other than swamps?

I just started wondering that with the work I've put into my JK and someday the motor's not gonna be up to it anymore and.... So then I wondered if the extra horse power of the Hemi might overcome the lack of extra HP in the 3.8 and the Hemi might come out getting slightly better MPG than stock. If I just wanted better mileage I would go with the RIPP, but was really thinking a few years down the road.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Freak

You guys forget though, you'll have to go to premium fuel as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm consistently getting 12/13 MPG.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LifeTime
Hemi mileage...now 'that' is funny! If I could afford to replace my engine with a Hemi, I would never be concerned with the mileage.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Hulk when you gonna get your green butt out here and wheel in somethin' other than swamps?

I just started wondering that with the work I've put into my JK and someday the motor's not gonna be up to it anymore and.... So then I wondered if the extra horse power of the Hemi might overcome the lack of extra HP in the 3.8 and the Hemi might come out getting slightly better MPG than stock. If I just wanted better mileage I would go with the RIPP, but was really thinking a few years down the road.
Hey Seer1....

Here is some math for you old buddy !!!!

What is 203 ( stock HP ) plus 125 ( approx HP increase with Ripp ) = 328 !! I know everyone likes to put down the " Minivan " motor ; but my local dealer has a courtesy van with the 3.8 and it has over 350,000 miles and still going !!! On top of that, talk to Ross at Ripp Mods and ask him what he saw when they went into the " Minivan " motor .... ( like the beefy V-8 rods and such ) !!

OR

Hemi 340 ( pre 2009 ) you are not gonna " feel " 10 or 12 horses !!!!

BUT.... your bank account will feel the extra over $10,000 for the Hemi and you WILL NOT get more than 16 mpg hiway with the Hemi ....... and I am getting over 16 in the CITY ( and it is not broke in yet )

Which of the 4 corners are you actually from ???? I been to Colorado and loved it !!!! I don't like the MUD at all !!!!

Last edited by HULKGREEN; 01-19-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the WK with city driving 14.5-15.5. I'm doing the swap in the garage. Think my wife will even notice her WK with a 3.8.

Just to give you some data. I know your talking about a JK swap
Old 01-19-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Yep, usually just wanna get there, don't need to get there fast. I'll think of other things to do the JK and not worry about the engine. I live on the CO side. Come on out (wait til July though) and we'll show you some rocks and such.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:59 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by seer1
Yep, usually just wanna get there, don't need to get there fast. I'll think of other things to do the JK and not worry about the engine. I live on the CO side. Come on out (wait til July though) and we'll show you some rocks and such.

If you remember my favorite place to play is Superlift ORV Park ( the primier ORV Park in the SOUTH !!!) in Hot Springs , ARK

But I may take you up on he invite if the economy hold out !!! The Oilfield has gotten REAL slow with the NEW President stuff going on !!!!

I say " Just get it over with .... We are all SCREWED ANYWAYS !!!! "
Old 01-20-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Junkie

AEV is claiming 13/16 with the 3.8, 35" tires, and 4.88 gears, or 14/17 with the Hemi and the same setup, so you can expect maybe 1-2 more mpg depending on your driving style. The Hemi also runs on regular 87 octane fuel, so you won't have the additional cost of premium fuel that you would have with a supercharger.

Quick Reply: Hemi Milage