Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi, LS1 or Ripp Supercharger What would you do?

Old 01-08-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THe big question is are you planning on doing it yourself or have a company do it for you. If you are able, then LS1 without any hesitation. If you are not so mechanically inclined then go with RIPP.

Also if you havent considered it, it may be easier and cheaper to just trade in for a 2012. A 2012 will give you the same hp as a RIPP.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepwc
Thinking of swapping out the 3.8 in my 2011 JK and putting in a Hemi or a ripp charger. If you could do the hemi for about 10grand would you. I was also thinking about a LS1 swap. You has done these Mods and how do you like them. Ups and Downs. Thamks
Horsepower TV did a dyno test on a guys JK with a Hemi swap. It cost the guy $22,000. Then they did the dyno on a JK with with the RIPP supercharger for $6000. The Ripp had more horsepower and more torque.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

I just installed the Ripp SC. I'm very happy with the difference it has made in my JK. As a few others have stated I mainly did it for the advantages it gives while driving around town and on the highway. Just intalled it Saturday so no trail time yet but put about 10 hours on it now and I can tell you I am very happy with my purchase. For the money you can't go wrong. I just can't afford to dump another 20K in my JK after all the money spend on regular mds. Now 5K I can do.
Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by RicksTitans

Horsepower TV did a dyno test on a guys JK with a Hemi swap. It cost the guy $22,000. Then they did the dyno on a JK with with the RIPP supercharger for $6000. The Ripp had more horsepower and more torque.
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you are wrong about this. I think the RIPP may have produced more per dollar spent, but the raw numbers were in favor of the Hemi (and I don't think the Hemi had a custom tune like the RIPP).
Old 01-08-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bruiser diesel conversion. But I'm bias, I love diesel's.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

You can watch his video done on Spike TV's Xtreme 4X4 with Ian Johnson. They even make the statement that once the Hemi is in a JK the computer is looked and it can't be tuned. Watch for yourself. Only repeating what they said.

h**p://www.viddler.com/explore/RIPPMODS/videos/9/
Old 01-08-2012, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sharkey
It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you are wrong about this. I think the RIPP may have produced more per dollar spent, but the raw numbers were in favor of the Hemi (and I don't think the Hemi had a custom tune like the RIPP).
Only wrong about the torque, the Hemi was 214HP and 250lbs. The Ripp was 223HP and 227lbs. For 23 foot lbs of torque I cannot see spending another $16K. But if someone wants to do it, more power to them. I am not against it, but just do not see the spending the extra.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schantin
THANK YOU SIR. This is exactly what I have been looking for. I can guarantee that my JK will be rocking an LSx by the end of 2012 with this info
You may want to check emissions laws before you do that, at least if you intend to drive it on the street. I am pretty sure that Federal law states that any engine swap must be from the same manufacturer and the same year as the vehicle or newer. Depending on the emissions testing in the state you live, you might be able to get away with it. Most states adopt Federal emissions laws as a starting point, though so you might end up with a vehicle that cannot be legally licensed.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

just sent e-mailed motech for an estimate after watching the videos that is a sweet way to go...forget the hemi i have had several LS trucks and always loved the power and reliability and with a simple cam and header swap you have over 400 HP!
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

LS1 all the way theres no replacment for displacement.

Quick Reply: Hemi, LS1 or Ripp Supercharger What would you do?