Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HEMI in a Daily Driver

Old 09-03-2016, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scubatech
I have a 6.4 Liter semi in my 2014. I drive it everyday. Mileage is 13.5 - 14 city and 17 17.2 on a road trip. Yeah I recommend it because it a fun Jeep to drive and own, all the power you want. I have no stickers or badges on my Jeep so most don't know the difference until I pass them in the mountains and they give mea puzzled look. I'm one of those guys that has to have a V8 or Turbo Diesel vehicle or I'm not happy with the performance. There is some amazing LS Chevy swaps on the Forums also to look at. I didn't think I could afford it but once I got that figured out I had to do it. Once you drive a V8 JK you will lay awake thinking about how to get one. There has been some killer used rigs for sale on the Forums lately as more of them are being built. More Hemi's on the AEV Forum since they build them to order. Check out Motech & RPM Extreme & Johns Overland Performance.
You're just down the hill from me. Have you had to run through emissions yet (I'm guessing not with a '14)? What's your anticipation when you do?

I put a CARB certified, paperwork and all fuel injection on my CJ with the stock 258 and even though it passed with flying colors (and certainly light years better than the carb) I still had to try different facilities to find one that would just go ahead and sniff it without all the BS.

Thanks

Last edited by fredrok; 09-03-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fredrok
This is a subject I've been waiting to mature for a few years. So the only option for a '12+ manual 6spd is the LS 5.3? Is a complete kit available for a DIY swap? Are all of the ECU/PCM and CANbus issues mitigated for the '12+ models now with all working components and no codes?

Thanks for your time.

2012 JKUR 6 spd Man
The 5.3 is the maximum power the NSG370 JK transmission can handle. We have options for 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions that will handle 500+ HP engines but they are extra cost.

We have been doing Pentstar JK swaps since 2012; as mentioned the earlier swaps were more complex but today the swap is simple. In fact the Pentstar swap has become easier than the 3.8 JK's to swap due to our advanced electronics.

We run a complete USEPA production network and calibrations for emissions compliance. Hemi guys do yourself a favor and make sure all your monitors are supported that need too be, and the monitors are set before you bring it in for testing. Many states are now pulling registrations if you test in a non compliant state. Call me if you need help with this.

Back to the LS, our GM network is pure, the ECM, TCM, BCM, PMM..... No codes. There will be no codes in your JK ECM or TCM if you have one. About a year ago we added support for Automatic air conditioning in 2011-16 JK's. All the steering wheel controls, radio, remote start, security system remain functional and pure, even the SKIM is untouched.

Here's a 15' I just test drove for a guy in California, it has a 6.2 engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRInj_o14M
Old 09-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor

This is a subject I've been waiting to mature for a few years. So the only option for a '12+ manual 6spd is the LS 5.3? Is a complete kit available for a DIY swap? Are all of the ECU/PCM and CANbus issues mitigated for the '12+ models now with all working components and no codes?

Thanks for your time.

2012 JKUR 6 spd Man

There are some options for a 6 speed manual and a LS3 for the 07-11 and 12+
We have one tentatively scheduled for October. At that point we will document it and try to put into DIY Kit form.

With our stuff the CANbus is easy and everything in the jeep works like factory. No need to worry about codes or stuff not working. At this point I would say our swap is on par with a Hemi swap as far as factory intregrtation goes. but in my opinion a step up because you have a open GM system that can easily be programmed and modified. Most of the Hemi kits I have seen have a locked computer or a special program that doesn't allow for any adjustments or upgrades.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info, thanks guys. I'm glad to see we're over the hump on the '12+ swaps.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
The 5.3 is the maximum power the NSG370 JK transmission can handle. We have options for 5 and 6 speed manual transmissions that will handle 500+ HP engines but they are extra cost. We have been doing Pentstar JK swaps since 2012; as mentioned the earlier swaps were more complex but today the swap is simple. In fact the Pentstar swap has become easier than the 3.8 JK's to swap due to our advanced electronics. We run a complete USEPA production network and calibrations for emissions compliance. Hemi guys do yourself a favor and make sure all your monitors are supported that need too be, and the monitors are set before you bring it in for testing. Many states are now pulling registrations if you test in a non compliant state. Call me if you need help with this. Back to the LS, our GM network is pure, the ECM, TCM, BCM, PMM..... No codes. There will be no codes in your JK ECM or TCM if you have one. About a year ago we added support for Automatic air conditioning in 2011-16 JK's. All the steering wheel controls, radio, remote start, security system remain functional and pure, even the SKIM is untouched. Here's a 15' I just test drove for a guy in California, it has a 6.2 engine. YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYRInj_o14M
Wow,

Robbi, you spoke with me a couple days ago about Gen V 6.2 with 6L80E; which I still lean towards for my 2013 JKUR Manual Trans, however, the idea of getting to keep a manual transmission is awesome to me.

Had no idea that you could now bolt the 5.3 to the OEM trans, and I imagine keep all other OEM Transmission, Transfer Case, etc?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by doc5339
Wow,

Robbi, you spoke with me a couple days ago about Gen V 6.2 with 6L80E; which I still lean towards for my 2013 JKUR Manual Trans, however, the idea of getting to keep a manual transmission is awesome to me.

Had no idea that you could now bolt the 5.3 to the OEM trans, and I imagine keep all other OEM Transmission, Transfer Case, etc?
Yes the front transmission case needs to be swapped out and an adapter used then you can bolt it up to an LS. We just shipped a 5.3 manual to Canada. I still prefer the automatic though.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes the front transmission case needs to be swapped out and an adapter used then you can bolt it up to an LS. We just shipped a 5.3 manual to Canada. I still prefer the automatic though.
I know that the 6L80E is the "star of the show," and also am keenly aware of how badly the stock manual trans really is. I just really like driving manual, especially in a Jeep.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Robbi, how does sticking with the stock manual transmission effect the conversion price? I have an 08.

Thanks!
Cliff
Old 09-07-2016, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're just down the hill from me. Have you had to run through emissions yet (I'm guessing not with a '14)? What's your anticipation when you do?

I put a CARB certified, paperwork and all fuel injection on my CJ with the stock 258 and even though it passed with flying colors (and certainly light years better than the carb) I still had to try different facilities to find one that would just go ahead and sniff it without all the BS.

Thanks
Hi Fred,

I almost missed your post! No, I have until 2021. Mine is all complete on emissions since I knew I would need it. Nucleophile did a 2007 a few years back and said he had to get an examiner to give him a certification form so the stations would inspect it without issue. I will try and drive through Rapid Screen when the time comes and try to avoid the test station visit. As far as the actual emissions test my Jeep should pass fine. I'm surprised with a carb certified accessary that they would question it. I took my wife's car through last week and I'm not sure they knew much beyond the rules they need to comply with. I agree with Motech & RPM, you might as well do it right since it will never go away.

Quick Reply: HEMI in a Daily Driver