Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HEMI in a Daily Driver

Old 09-02-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEMI in a Daily Driver

How many of you have put a HEMI in your daily driver? How's the mileage? I drive about 40 mins to work in both highway and city traffic. Would you recommend a HEMI in a daily driver??
Old 09-02-2016, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did a 5.7 truck Hemi in my 2009 JKUR which is my daily driver. It is on 37's and pretty heavy overall. It obviously had the 3.8 in it and the MPGs can be the same or better or worse depending on your foot. When I can stay off of it and not feel compelled to get on it, it is easy to get same or better than that of the 3.8. I am very happy with my Hemi. If you are looking for 20 MPGs you will be shit out of luck.

If you are interested

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...dsheet-332076/
Old 09-02-2016, 05:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vedo13
How many of you have put a HEMI in your daily driver? How's the mileage? I drive about 40 mins to work in both highway and city traffic. Would you recommend a HEMI in a daily driver??
I have a 6.4 Liter semi in my 2014. I drive it everyday. Mileage is 13.5 - 14 city and 17 17.2 on a road trip. Yeah I recommend it because it a fun Jeep to drive and own, all the power you want. I have no stickers or badges on my Jeep so most don't know the difference until I pass them in the mountains and they give mea puzzled look. I'm one of those guys that has to have a V8 or Turbo Diesel vehicle or I'm not happy with the performance. There is some amazing LS Chevy swaps on the Forums also to look at. I didn't think I could afford it but once I got that figured out I had to do it. Once you drive a V8 JK you will lay awake thinking about how to get one. There has been some killer used rigs for sale on the Forums lately as more of them are being built. More Hemi's on the AEV Forum since they build them to order. Check out Motech & RPM Extreme & Johns Overland Performance.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Da20captain
I did a 5.7 truck Hemi in my 2009 JKUR which is my daily driver. It is on 37's and pretty heavy overall. It obviously had the 3.8 in it and the MPGs can be the same or better or worse depending on your foot. When I can stay off of it and not feel compelled to get on it, it is easy to get same or better than that of the 3.8. I am very happy with my Hemi. If you are looking for 20 MPGs you will be shit out of luck.

If you are interested

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...dsheet-332076/
We're getting there. I have Hemi's and LS's in the shop now and I have driven an LS 6.2 JKUR for 7 years now. The Gen IV LS's and VVT Hemi's for the most part get 11-17 mpg based on weight, gears, tires, etc. The LS's have an advantage due to lighter weight but more importantly the 6 speed automatic transmission with diverse gearing and low friction. We have 5.3's getting 20mpg highway in light JK's with 32" tires.

The new Gen V LS engines we are supporting are amazing. High compression, direct injection, continuous VVT and enhanced cylinder displacement adds up to a powerful but efficient power train.

The 6.2 Gen V engine is available with a 6, 8 and even 10 speed transmission. The results have been amazing so far. Power too me feels like a 480 HP LS3, more than a production LS3 or 6.4 Hemi. Power is instant at any rpm with CVVT high compression and DI. You drive around in 4 cylinder mode much of the time so you are essentially a 3.1 liter V4. When you get on it power is instant.

Our testing in a heavy JKU with 40's D70's and armor showed the L86 Gen V engine getting similar mpg to a light 5.3 2 door. We took a road trip to the mountains and I was surprised at the economy and performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv62wplD0Nk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I-w2vK80B8

Last edited by VEGASROBBI; 09-02-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
We're getting there. I have Hemi's and LS's in the shop now and I have driven an LS 6.2 JKUR for 7 years now. The Gen IV LS's and VVT Hemi's for the most part get 11-17 mpg based on weight, gears, tires, etc. The LS's have an advantage due to lighter weight but more importantly the 6 speed automatic transmission with diverse gearing and low friction. We have 5.3's getting 20mpg highway in light JK's with 32" tires.

The new Gen V LS engines we are supporting are amazing. High compression, direct injection, continuous VVT and enhanced cylinder displacement adds up to a powerful but efficient power train.

The 6.2 Gen V engine is available with a 6, 8 and even 10 speed transmission. The results have been amazing so far. Power too me feels like a 480 HP LS3, more than a production LS3 or 6.4 Hemi. Power is instant at any rpm with CVVT high compression and DI. You drive around in 4 cylinder mode much of the time so you are essentially a 3.1 liter V4. When you get on it power is instant.

Our testing in a heavy JKU with 40's D70's and armor showed the L86 Gen V engine getting similar mpg to a light 5.3 2 door. We took a road trip to the mountains and I was surprised at the economy and performance.
I drive one of Robbi's Gen IV / 6L80E conversions and I love it. As said, if you're looking for awesome gas mileage, that won't happen... but ease of driving and pure fun is there.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:05 AM
JK Newbie

I'm in Lancaster Pa and added a 5.7 truck hemi to an 07 JKU turning 40s. Getting 12.5 mpg around town and very happy with the swap. Junkyard motor and Dakota customs kit. Looked at an LS because it's also a great option but was to impatient with extended downtime of an LS swap.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I did consider LS but the fact that I was told the LS is not quite the slam dunk the Hemi was and required more thought and experience, i am not experienced with engine swaps. I opted for the Hemi. Also I could not figure out how to do it for as cheap as the Hemi. I just sold the last piece from my swap. It was the NP 243 transfer case that came with my donor engine and sold for $350. That puts me just under $7000 for the swap.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Newbie

Nice to see a lot of people doing successful swaps! Has anyone done an ls swap and kept the jeep 6 speed manual?
Old 09-03-2016, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FailRatedJK
Nice to see a lot of people doing successful swaps! Has anyone done an ls swap and kept the jeep 6 speed manual?
We have done several but the stock 6 speed is limited to a 5.3.

As far as install experience goes it was true years ago the LS swap was more complex; however, today the LS swap has become rationalized. Our kit is virtually plug and play. No need to mod the suspension, battery tray, firewall, etc... so in some ways it's easier than a Hemi.

Here's a body going on in 15 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDoqQIrbWsI
Old 09-03-2016, 06:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VEGASROBBI
We have done several but the stock 6 speed is limited to a 5.3.

As far as install experience goes it was true years ago the LS swap was more complex; however, today the LS swap has become rationalized. Our kit is virtually plug and play. No need to mod the suspension, battery tray, firewall, etc... so in some ways it's easier than a Hemi.
This is a subject I've been waiting to mature for a few years. So the only option for a '12+ manual 6spd is the LS 5.3? Is a complete kit available for a DIY swap? Are all of the ECU/PCM and CANbus issues mitigated for the '12+ models now with all working components and no codes?

Thanks for your time.

2012 JKUR 6 spd Man

Last edited by fredrok; 09-03-2016 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: HEMI in a Daily Driver