Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi conversion

Old 07-17-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo

The i6 was TOO reliable. They wont be bringin it back.
You could always buy one if you REALLY want to. You can find a used Cherokee in good running condition for 2 grand and part it out if you really want some of it back. I was thinking I'd do that or go for a 4bt. There's a lot of those over here in Kentucky.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Earth Siege
Sorry, it took me awhile to stop laughing....

3.8L to 6.4L
This will double engine size and increase weight

The jeep will do everything easier with double displacement but i can assure u that u will NOT save any fuel milage in the process.

There are several threads on hemi gas milage vs 3.8L. None of them did the hemi improve it.
Glad you got a laugh out of it, but the EPA fuel mileage numbers are actually listed similar to the 3.8. For a standard displacement 6 cylinder, the 3.8l gets absolutely dismal fuel mileage. The idea of a more power for similar mileage interests me, but it sounds like the AEV kit is not as "plug and play" as they advertise
Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4wdave
All in all due to all the added weight on my Jeep the 5.7VVT Hemi has gotten better gas mileage on the highway than the 3.8 and about the same in town but with tons more power. Even better than the supercharger because you have the torque on low end. But if I had to do it over today I would go with a LS1 engine rather than the hemi. Even better gas mileage, takes up less space and weighs less. Runs cooler and a better transmission behind it.
I'm glad you like your Hemi. I want to do a V8 swap in mine someday. I've read every build thread out there on conversions. I agree with you on the LS swap. I though it would be cool to have a Hemi for a change & it seemed it would be simpler computer wise but now it doesn't appear so. I think it will surpass the Hemi swaps in the future when they become more widespread. I've always used Chevy engines in my swaps for power per $$,weight,availability of parts and size. It still holds true and I think the resale will be just as good. I'm afraid someday with all the tightening restrictions, emissions engine changes will no longer be performed!! I sure hope not.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scubatech
I'm glad you like your Hemi. I want to do a V8 swap in mine someday. I've read every build thread out there on conversions. I agree with you on the LS swap. I though it would be cool to have a Hemi for a change & it seemed it would be simpler computer wise but now it doesn't appear so. I think it will surpass the Hemi swaps in the future when they become more widespread. I've always used Chevy engines in my swaps for power per $$,weight,availability of parts and size. It still holds true and I think the resale will be just as good. I'm afraid someday with all the tightening restrictions, emissions engine changes will no longer be performed!! I sure hope not.
When I first looked into doing the swap they were still having some issues getting all the functionality out of the LS swap such as criuse control. So opted for the Hemi instead, but by the time we got everything together they had worked through the issues with the LS. I was to far into it with the Hemi to turn back. Just glad I chose the local shop that I did rather than BOR.
You are probable right, with the CAFE standards the way they are going I expect at some time in the near future they will restrict altering a vehicle that would decrease its ability to meet that standard. Since my F150 will need to be replaced in the near future I am thinking of finding a 2011 JKU and having Motech install a LS2 to replace the truck.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 AM
CT2
JK Enthusiast

LS swap with the 6l80e....only option that makes any sense.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oatz328
I guess I'll wait until a viable diesel conversion then
The 2016 JK is scheduled to have a diesel option per Edmunds.com. No pricing yet on the upgrade ... but it was around a $5-6K upgrade on the 2013 Grand Cherokee.

Another option is a RIPP Supercharger ... increases around +100HP/+140LBS Tourque for $4-5K -- which is similar to the HEMI w/o the extra weight and a lot cheaper.

Last edited by nickcoleman; 07-19-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 4wdave
When I first looked into doing the swap they were still having some issues getting all the functionality out of the LS swap such as criuse control. So opted for the Hemi instead, but by the time we got everything together they had worked through the issues with the LS. I was to far into it with the Hemi to turn back. Just glad I chose the local shop that I did rather than BOR.
You are probable right, with the CAFE standards the way they are going I expect at some time in the near future they will restrict altering a vehicle that would decrease its ability to meet that standard. Since my F150 will need to be replaced in the near future I am thinking of finding a 2011 JKU and having Motech install a LS2 to replace the truck.
Good idea!! I like the Hemi a lot. There are enough of them out there i'm surprised at the number of issues cropping up. That engine definitely fills the engine bay up. One of the issues BOR speaks of is they have the heat issue taken care of with their radiator and air movement through the engine compartment. I'm glad your shop did it right!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stuck a 6.1 hemi in my 2007 Rubi back in 2009. The LS swaps were not figured out yet. I like the GM motors also and today might have went the LS option.

That said, the Hemi has been reliable, in fact problem free. And it flat out hauls ass. It runs cool enough moving, and does not overheat crawling in 90 degree weather. However, the engine compartment could double as an oven.

Unless something has changed, I imagine you will have to run premium fuel through a 6.4 SRT just like the 6.1. A complete new SRT motor would probably cost 6k+ by itself. The figure you saw was likely only the kit.

My gas mileage certainly did not improve, 3 less MPG than the car the hemi came out of. That is probably due to wind resistance and weight. Plus the fact that I do not exactly drive it like a grandpa. If you are doing less than the speed limit and the weather is good, I am going by. I get 13.5 to 16 mpg depending. I do have steel bumpers and winch which does not help.

I am sure I might coax 1 or 2 more MPG out of it if I concentrated on staying off the skinny pedal, but screw that it is in there to have fun (within sane limits) because I have always had V-8's. Otherwise, why spend that kind of cash? If you are doing it for economy all I can say is

The LS may be the way to go now (although the real winner IMO is that GM tranny), but damn have I had some fun the past 4 years and am glad I did it. Never know how long one has in this world, I am not always waiting for the next best thing.

TLDR: IMO, never do a V-8 swap for any reason other than fun.

Last edited by Yankee; 07-19-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I concur, I average 11.5 to 13 in the city and 13 to 14.5 on the highway. But hell it's a blast to drive with no overheating issues whatsoever and it does get HOT as hell under the hood and in the cab for that matter. No issue with towing and the engine and tranny is working flawlessly. All and all for $10,500.00 total (engine, tranny, misc. parts, install and a AEV Snorkel Kit) for a 5.7L Hemi engine and tranny with only 7465 miles on it, this conversion was hard to turn down or beat for that matter.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not so sure they have all the bugs worked out on the LS conversions yet. I just went through the process of choosing a V8 for a conversion, and chose the 6.4 Hemi. Part of the reason I chose the 6.4 was because a friend had just done an LS swap in his JK. In the first two months that he has had it, he has taken it back to the conversion shop three times to have electronic glitches fixed. The 6.4 may not be perfect either, and I have heard complaints about inadequate engine cooling. But I picked mine up in Las Vegas when it was 111 F outside, and no cooling problems on the way home. The temp gauge stayed right in the middle the whole way. And no electronic glitches either.

The $6100 the OP saw for a 6.4 Hemi conversion was just for the conversion kit. It includes the motor mounts, new radiator, air intake, wiring harness, coolant overflow bottle, and I believe the exhaust. Look up the price of a 6.4 crate motor in Jegs catalog, I believe it is something like $18,000, ... although I could be wrong on that. I had been looking up a lot of different engine prices back then.

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 07-19-2013 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Hemi conversion