Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Hemi 5.7 swap

Old 09-19-2012, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SprungYJ
I did the swap myself and no problems at all. I did break the clock spring and lost cruise control, but that was my fault. 250.00 later and a new clock spring, my cruise and ESP was back. Todd has answered all my calls and has had a answer for just about every problem I came upon.
I am curious what year is your jeep?
We put the same 2011 5.7 VVT motor in my 2011 JK and no cruise control. I wonder if it is the year of the vehicle that is the difference?
TIA
Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

The jeep is a 2008, and you got me wondering about cruise, so I went out for a spin and it runs great. Accel, decel.... No issue at all. Was your PCM brand new? Did you check the pins on the PCM to make sure none were pushed back? Is your harness built by Hot Wire?
Old 09-20-2012, 03:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

The jeep is a 2008, and you got me wondering about cruise, so I went out for a spin and it runs great. Accel, decel.... No issue at all. Was your PCM brand new? Did you check the pins on the PCM to make sure none were pushed back? Is your harness built by Hot Wire?
Spoke with Todd and he said it has to do with the cruise control on the 2011 jk being in the steering wheel and that they are still working on a solution. Not sure what bend harness was used ill have to ask Todd

Last edited by HLKSTER; 09-20-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Delux2769
Look up AEV hemi kit and Burnsville Offroad hemi kit.

They're the major guys out there. Get the numbers from the hemi motor and tranny, so when you call them, they can tell you if you should go for it.

I know Jeep hemis are easier to swap in then Dodge Truck hemis due to the exhaust manifolds.
That's why its recommended to swap to GC manifolds if you are using using a truck motor.... the truck motors are preferred by Burnsville due to more HP, more torque and having a mechanical fan. We are getting ready to do our swap in December..... for those looking for good deals on low mileage 2012 full dressed engine drop outs (Truck and GC models) and trans LKQ is the place to go. We got our motor and trans that only had 7 miles on it for under $4500 delivered.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

Thanks guys for taking the liberty of discussing your own issues and questions and leading the thread in a completely different direction. Appreciated
Old 09-20-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry MFX, I started off by suggesting Todd @ Jeep Speed Shop for any questions you might have. Personally I would stay away from all the Hemi motors 2008 and older. The VVT Hemi is a way better motor and it's not going to cost you a lot more. Truck motors are the way to go for us (IMO) if you love wheeling. But to answer your first question... Yes it will work!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Getting my Hemi in a few months!!

A couple of months ago I just purchased a GREAT deal!! Just got a 5.7 Hemi with transmission out of a 2011 Jeep Commander that was in a rollover accident for $1,000.00. It only has 7456 miles on it. I'll take some pics of the engine and transmission. I'll need some help on what's the best kit and method of putting this beast in my JK. I've already noticed that I'll need to do some work on this , some parts are broken and the wiring harness has been cut in a few different places. So I'll need some expertise on this project from start to finish. But I'm on my way to more power and joining the HEMI club
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo8.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	368751   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo7.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	368752   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	368753  
Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

I would also stay away from any shop that cannot get your jeep back to stock with NO dash lights.

BOR I'd my 2012 with a 392 and I have no dash lights, throw no codes (this was verified using star scan mobile, no codes where suppressed or hidden) and my cruise and ESP works.

Why would you buy a kit that does not cover EVERYTHING! Dan and Brian at BOR know their stuff and will set you straight.

Just my 2 Cents...
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-846479557.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	369945

I also have a 2008 Rubicon, Burnsville off-road did a 5.7 vvt 2 years ago. The check engine light was on for over a year. And then none of the sensors work so it would not pass inspection. I was told by Dan at Moab last year if I switch to the 6.4 VVT motor, that I wouldn't have these issues so. I paid Dan $12,000 to swap the motors out. When I got my jeep home the check engine light is not on anymore, but it still won't pass inspection the computer is not right ( Not reading the Sensors) I'm out $33,000 on Motor swaps and don't have a jeep that will pass inspection.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry MFX, I started off by suggesting Todd @ Jeep Speed Shop for any questions you might have. Personally I would stay away from all the Hemi motors 2008 and older. The VVT Hemi is a way better motor and it's not going to cost you a lot more. Truck motors are the way to go for us (IMO) if you love wheeling. But to answer your first question... Yes it will work!
I too apologize MFX , x2 on what sprung said

Quick Reply: Hemi 5.7 swap