Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Yakima tracks

Old 04-04-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
What??? So, either Yakima cut costs and now makes only one type for both, or their literature is wrong. And to make things worse their lame customer service never said anything about this. The guy never mentioned there were two models and I should not use the riv-nuts on the Wrangler's hard top. He just kept pushing me to go to the Jeep dealer.

I totally agree that having washers would make it a lot more secure. So, back to the store to return it and then getting a Thule. I had the feeling something was not right since the installation photos I saw had bolts and nuts.

Thanks much!! I was planning to install it today. You saved my rooftop and I a lot of pain.
I'm getting photos uploaded now but if you try to go through the double wall part of the top you will need longer bolts anyway, not sure if it is worth returning it. I bought mine from a local rack supplier.

Photos to follow in a few minutes.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Photos:

Looking toward driver side rear....

Passenger side rear most nut...

Passenger side front most nut, just to the rear of the freedom panels above the roll bar. Very limited clearance here so front bolt may need to be cut to exact length. The big plastic yakima nuts interfered with the roll bar. so I made a small spacer out of a nylon spacer and cut it on an angle to match the angle of the roof. A little manuevering of the track fore and aft and you might be able to avoid this, but I wanted to avoid going through the double walled areas off the top where possible.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by dstock; 04-04-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstock

I'm getting photos uploaded now but if you try to go through the double wall part of the top you will need longer bolts anyway, not sure if it is worth returning it. I bought mine from a local rack supplier.

Photos to follow in a few minutes.

Thanks much! Definitely helped. I though you were referring to the ribs that go around the roof. Now I see you are talking about the areas where the ribs' walls join the rooftop's wall. Yes, makes sense to bolt through that section. I saw some installation photos of bolts going through the roof and rib, which require very long bolts.

I returned the Yakima rack this past Sunday. I got them in REI, which agreed that Yakima did a lame customer service. I sat down with the REI's sales guy again, we figured the Thule's parts and I'm ordering them because they did not have them in stock.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

also mounted mine about two inches in from the edge of the hard top.... I wanted to place them as far out as possible. I think it looks a lot better with a wider base. I dont like the look of a lot of the load bars sticking out from the feet...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2713.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	146692Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7955.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	146693Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9776.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	146694Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5232.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	146695
Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kowen
also mounted mine about two inches in from the edge of the hard top.... I wanted to place them as far out as possible. I think it looks a lot better with a wider base. I dont like the look of a lot of the load bars sticking out from the feet...
Attachment 146692Attachment 146693Attachment 146694Attachment 146695
this is the 40 load bars and the 60 rails. The rails had to be cut about three or four inches to fit on the hard top
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I got my Yakima stuff here cause it's local but they do online as well and they have everything Thule and Yakima and seem to know what they are doing.

hxxp://www.racksolid.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_9

Of course I am a huge fan of REI but if you need a second opinion.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Damnit. I need tires, I need lift, I need a soft top, I need bumpers, I need this RACK. Damnit. I have no budget!

Tires first, rack, then soft top. Might not be in that order, but...
Old 04-06-2011, 12:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dstock
I got my Yakima stuff here cause it's local but they do online as well and they have everything Thule and Yakima and seem to know what they are doing.

hxxp://www.racksolid.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6_9

Of course I am a huge fan of REI but if you need a second opinion.

Cool! Thanks!
I'll keep them I'm mind. REI is local for me (Seattle) and showed great customer service by taking the Yakima stuff back and helping with choosing Thule's system.

The only thing I am still debating is whether I go with Thule's Aero system or the standard square bars. The Aero, besides less drag looks much better. However, the REI folks said it does not have all options offered by the square bars. I'll take a look at this place you recommended for a final decision. ;-)
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kowen

this is the 40 load bars and the 60 rails. The rails had to be cut about three or four inches to fit on the hard top
Thanks for the photos!
Looks really good. I am also planning to mount as close to the edges as possible. It will be closer to the vertical walls (more load bearing) and also looks nicer.

Quick Reply: Help with Yakima tracks