Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! what could be wrong, Radiator exploded and before It made sound boiling

Old 03-07-2015, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! what could be wrong, Radiator exploded and before It made sound boiling

Hey Jeepers i really need some help trying to figure out whats wrong... here are more details off what happened

I had a small water leak on the bottom part of the water pump, so had the water pump changed, the thermostat and the radiator cap as well..after this 3 things were changed, the plastic side of it it exploded... before i had this parts replace, the radiator keep making noise like if it was boiling and the water was moved to the reservoir or it will pour out from the cap,, all this was before i changed all parts...

It seems theres too much pressure in lines or something,, thats why i need some help trying to figure out what could be causing this...

THE ENGINE IS NOT HEATING UP,, THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE IS NORMAL...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7740.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	600109

The mechanic already vacuum the air from lines twice.......

any suggestions what can be causing this?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:59 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Air in the system,need to bleed it out.
Old 03-07-2015, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default mechanic says he did

well apparently the mechanic that did already got the air twice...... any other options? thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Bad head gasket possibly. It may have let go where the cylinder and a water jacket meet. So on the up stroke of the piston its pushing the air into the cooling system.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to vote for bad, or incorrect thermostat. No circulation, heat caused pressure build in the radiator.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

If the termostat was bad the engine would over heat.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pballer2777
Bad head gasket possibly. It may have let go where the cylinder and a water jacket meet. So on the up stroke of the piston its pushing the air into the cooling system.
^^^ This.

I've had this problem on another vehicle years ago. The temp gauge would go through the roof and then all of a sudden the temps would drop back to normal and then they would climb again. Problem was a head gasket had a gap between the cylinder and one of the coolant ports on the head. The cylinder would pressurize the coolant and would prevent the thermostat from releasing until it had enough pressure to push it back. And then it would force coolant out the overflow tank.

Mechanic will have to do a leak down test on each cylinder to check for this.
Old 03-08-2015, 03:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would expect him to see white smoke out the tailpipe if it was the head gasket.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I would expect him to see white smoke out the tailpipe if it was the head gasket.

Nope. Not always. Mine didn't.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When head gaskets fail it's not always between the cylinder and the water jacket...that I understand. But if the theory is that his is because the coolant is getting pressurized from the compression stroke, how is it possible that no antifreeze is getting into the cylinder? I'm not saying it's not possible I'm just saying I have never heard that before. Theoretically coolant flows through those holes and should end up with some getting in the cylinder and burning off.

Quick Reply: Help! what could be wrong, Radiator exploded and before It made sound boiling