Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with trackbar clunk...

Old 01-22-2014, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with trackbar clunk...

For some reason the search function is not working for me, it is just a blank page.
Any way, recently whenever I steer to the right or hit bumps on the road there is a clunking sound. At first I thought it was the steering shaft or box but the noise is coming from the track bar ball joint thing. It seems to dislocate itself then "clunk" back into position. Do I need a new track bar? Can I just maybe use some WD-40 or grease, in hopes of lubricating it. I have included a picture and an arrow pointing to where it moves. It does not move anywhere else, bolts are fine etc...

Also, I got this track bar when I got my lift about 3 years back from Rough Country. I have yet to contact them to see if they can replace it or whatever.
Thanks.

Last edited by Blackmetal; 01-22-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

OH NO NOT ONE OF THOSE!!!! Just kidding looks like ya might have to replace the Heim joint on that end. Not a biggie but I'd replace both ends while you have it off.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago and it turns the joint was popping once moving back into place because I did not have the jam nuts tight enough... I finally got fed up and torqued the crap out of the jam nuts and then tack wleded them - have not had the issue since.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I would recommend checking your jam nuts.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Woody
OH NO NOT ONE OF THOSE!!!! Just kidding looks like ya might have to replace the Heim joint on that end. Not a biggie but I'd replace both ends while you have it off.
What do you mean both ends? The axle mount side?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKRescue08
I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago and it turns the joint was popping once moving back into place because I did not have the jam nuts tight enough... I finally got fed up and torqued the crap out of the jam nuts and then tack wleded them - have not had the issue since.

Not sure if this is the same issue, but I would recommend checking your jam nuts.
Ok, I don't know much about suspension parts. Are the jam nuts what surround the heim joint?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, Im gonna have to go work soon, hopefully I'll figure is out.
Thanks for the quick replies.
I'll check back tomorrow to see if this thread is sill here.........
Old 01-22-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Had the same problem. Had to replace the bolt with one that wasnt fully threaded. I think the friction caused it to almost weld itself together. Had to cut off the track bar. Btw had the same one (RC). Good luck.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It sounds like your rod end (Heim joint) is worn out.

Rough Country does have a lifetime warranty but it does not cover wear items (like joints or bushings).

You could replace it with a better joint but if it were me I would replace the track bar with something stronger...thicker bar and bigger joint.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
It sounds like your rod end (Heim joint) is worn out.

Rough Country does have a lifetime warranty but it does not cover wear items (like joints or bushings).

You could replace it with a better joint but if it were me I would replace the track bar with something stronger...thicker bar and bigger joint.
x2

I'd replace it with a JKS or a RK if it was me
Old 01-23-2014, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had the jks 1st generation track bar for about a year until it snapped in half at the bend when i was locked up front. JKS replaced it with their new generation track bar and i have to say the new generation is the real deal. much beefier all around with better joints wouldnt run any other track bar

Quick Reply: Help with trackbar clunk...