Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with towing weight/capability

Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by RobtTxRubi
I also have air bags in the rear suspension to keep my front axle firmly in contact with the road, because I didn't want to run a weight equalizing hitch.
Will air bags in the rear put more weight on the front?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, it performs the same function as the equalizing hitch. Lift the rear places more wt up front. Got this from the days I used to drive a Porsche Cayenne with air suspension. Porsche was very insistent that the air suspension not have any anti sway or equalizing devices attached when towing. It works really well.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Yes, it performs the same function as the equalizing hitch.
Not really. An equalizing hitch can lift the rear tires off the ground, distributing all the weight to the front wheels and the trailer wheels.

All the bags do is raise the rear of the vehicle. The weight distribution changes very little.
It looks better than nothing, though.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Not really. An equalizing hitch can lift the rear tires off the ground, distributing all the weight to the front wheels and the trailer wheels.

All the bags do is raise the rear of the vehicle. The weight distribution changes very little.
It looks better than nothing, though.
While it's true an equalizing hitch can be misadjusted to lift the rear tires off the ground, the goal of properly adjusting the hitch is to negate the effect of adding wt to the rear axle and keeping the proper amount of wt on the front axle. Air lifting the rear to negate the added rear wt keeps the vehicle in balance. It just places the wt fulcrum further forward (at the rear axle), which prevents the rear wheels from being lifted completely off the ground, while maintaining the proper wt balance.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Jedi Master

While it's true an equalizing hitch can be misadjusted to lift the rear tires off the ground, the goal of properly adjusting the hitch is to negate the effect of adding wt to the rear axle and keeping the proper amount of wt on the front axle. Air lifting the rear to negate the added rear wt keeps the vehicle in balance. It just places the wt fulcrum further forward (at the rear axle), which prevents the rear wheels from being lifted completely off the ground, while maintaining the proper wt balance.
I fully agree a level vehicle is more stable than one squatted in the rear.
I just don't have a handle on how effective air bags are in stabilizing a squatted tow vehicle.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Will air bags in the rear put more weight on the front?
Air bags will not change the weight distribution signficantly enough to make a difference in front axle loading. It will raise the rear but there is not an appreciable fulcurm to redistribute the weight as the mass CG locations are fixed and the load points are fixed.

A weight distribution hitch uses cantaliver beams in bending to transfer force at the hitch ball to pivot and remove weight from the rear of the vehicle and redistribute it to the front axle. Basically a torque from the hitch point from the pickup points on the trailer frame transferred thru the jeep frame. This helps stopping and steering.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Irish Bullfrog
Just my opinion..... The rating is low due to stopping ability. We all know that in 4 low, our jeeps would pull a house... But once the weight is moving, could you control the speed down hill through the Rocky's? Just like my daily work truck (A 2012 Dodge 3500 Flatbed Cummins) can handle a hell of a lot more weight than the I can safely stop.. The weight rating is a "safe" number to compensate for idiots who do not follow directions and try to overload their vehicles abilities. My suggestion is that you use reason.. Stay as close to that number as you can when you get what you want. And for the record, I pull a 4700 lb RV on a regular basis with trailer brakes behind my 2012 JKU and have had zero issues, but I also don't live in the Rocky's or drive in stop and go traffic in L.A either.
What trailer do you have if you dont mind me asking? I am really thinking about getting one and I am looking at all the options.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 04:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's kind of messed up we can't got to U haul (with hard top) and grab a one way trailer to tow a buddy home when something breaks?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK08MCS
It's kind of messed up we can't got to U haul (with hard top) and grab a one way trailer to tow a buddy home when something breaks?
Who said we can't?
Old 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by goldtr8
Air bags will not change the weight distribution signficantly enough to make a difference in front axle loading. It will raise the rear but there is not an appreciable fulcurm to redistribute the weight as the mass CG locations are fixed and the load points are fixed.

A weight distribution hitch uses cantaliver beams in bending to transfer force at the hitch ball to pivot and remove weight from the rear of the vehicle and redistribute it to the front axle. Basically a torque from the hitch point from the pickup points on the trailer frame transferred thru the jeep frame. This helps stopping and steering.
That's exactly what my understanding if it is.

Quick Reply: Help with towing weight/capability