Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Total noob here. Questions about my used JK

Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Total noob here. Questions about my used JK

Hey fellow JKers. I'm kinda new to the culture, even though I've had my JK for about 2 years now. I bought it used and asked the dealership what kind of mods were already done to it but he had no idea. I've been told that you guys can determine what's on it by a few pictures alone. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to automotive stuff but I'm starting to take an interest in it. Please excuse me if I ask some questions where the answer is obvious. I'm trying to learn so take it easy on the new guy please? hehe. Alright here we go:

Reading my tire size it says LT315/75/R16. After some research on the google machine I've determined that I have 35" tires and 16" wheels. Is this correct?

I think I have aftermarket shocks and springs. They're not marked but after looking at some other JKs in the parking lot at work, it looks like they are. Shoot, for all I know they're probably from the factory. I've attached pictures to hopefully help. If they are aftermarket, how much lift does it look like I have? I have no idea where to measure from. With factory built springs and shocks, how much lift do 35" tires provide?

Again, thanks for the help guys and gals.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1848.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	196963 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1847.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	196964 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1846.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	196965 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1845.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	196966 Click image for larger version

Name:	n1212931626_535743_7827016.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	196967

Last edited by Willie Pete 505; 08-15-2011 at 06:54 PM. Reason: subscribe
Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

in your second picture you have flat flares and in the last you have stock flares. why? looks like a 3 inch lift. great looking jeep.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like quick disconnects in the front and the back. Not sure of the brands.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Reading my tire size it says LT315/75/R16. After some research on the google machine I've determined that I have 35" tires and 16" wheels. Is this correct?
Yes, they are considered 35's. But if you get a tape measure out, I would be surprised if they actually measure much more than 33.5".

With factory built springs and shocks, how much lift do 35" tires provide?
Assuming factory coils, the new tires will give half of the tire height increase.
Old 31" to new 35" = 4" taller in total height.
But you only see 2" of it under the axles/frame.
Again, your measured tire height will be lower, so be sure to measure if you want that number. (stock JK tires vary, so you would need to know what came on it from the factory also).

I think I have aftermarket shocks and springs. They're not marked
I'll X3 the RC opinions. Sure looks like an RC 2.2 shock with the built in bumpstop. And based on the pic with 35's and stock flares, 2.5-3.5"? Snap a pic of the front end steering components. Trackbar brackets? Drop pitman? Stock control arms, or new fixed arms? Cam bolts, perhaps? (looks like an adj trackbar in there, at least)

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-15-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ECHO
you are correct on the tire and wheel size.. Guessing at the lift it looks like a Rough Country coil lift with shocks.. I think its probably the 2.5" lift
thanks for the input! A 2.5" lift is sufficient enough correct? I've heard about body lifts and see generally mixed reviews about them, more leaning towards not putting them on. What are your thoughts?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep2007
in your second picture you have flat flares and in the last you have stock flares. why? looks like a 3 inch lift. great looking jeep.
lol thanks! the stock flares were taken when i first got her. the flat flares i actually did myself yesterday. i never got around to taking a full side view picture afterward and figured maybe a picture with the stock flares would make it easier to determine how much lift is on it.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wxjeep
Looks like quick disconnects in the front and the back. Not sure of the brands.
thanks for your input as well! i've heard about the quick disconnects but entirely sure what they do. from what i'm told, you take them off before you go on a trail. is this to provide more flex? please let me know if i'm wrong. thanks!
Old 08-15-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would guess rough country lift also. Does it ride like crap?
lol i've heard rough country isn't the best. actually it doesn't ride that bad from what i can tell. maybe i haven't tested it to it's full potential. a buddy of mine has a TJ and he took mine out and was surprised at how smooth it is compared to his.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yes, they are considered 35's. But if you get a tape measure out, I would be surprised if they actually measure much more than 33.5".

Assuming factory coils, the new tires will give half of the tire height increase.
Old 31" to new 35" = 4" taller in total height.
But you only see 2" of it under the axles/frame.
Again, your measured tire height will be lower, so be sure to measure if you want that number. (stock JK tires vary, so you would need to know what came on it from the factory also).

I'll X3 the RC opinions. Sure looks like an RC 2.2 shock with the built in bumpstop. And based on the pic with 35's and stock flares, 2.5-3.5"? Snap a pic of the front end steering components. Trackbar brackets? Drop pitman? Stock control arms, or new fixed arms? Cam bolts, perhaps? (looks like an adj trackbar in there, at least)
Wow! Thanks for all that wealth of knowledge. I'm slowly learning. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post them up. You definitely lost me there on that last part when you started getting into the components. There's so much to learn!
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Lol, you'll learn it all quick. I was just asking to narrow down the specific lift and/or components you have. Ya know, so we can point out some deficiencies in certain brackets or drop pitmans, or laugh at you if you are running cams. Stuff like that.

And if that pic with the muddy stickers is current, my little nephew pointed you out to me a few days ago. He thought it was real mud, then called you a name when I told him it was just stickers.

Quick Reply: Help! Total noob here. Questions about my used JK