Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Torn Ball Joint Boots

Old 03-09-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Torn Ball Joint Boots

I don't want to sound like a noob (bc I am) but here it goes: Had gussets installed along with control arm skids, Nitro Axle sleeves, and Synergy Ball Joints. After installing the Synergy BJ's we noticed the boots had some small cuts in them. This became evident when grease starting pumping out once I filled them. How bad is this? I figured I'd squirt a few pumps of grease at every oil change (5k) and it should keep water out? Does this sound like a good plan? Or should I plan on the long task of replacing the boots?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:01 AM
JK Junkie

Eh... You are fine. Just keep greased like you said
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

if shop damaged them have them replace them, or just keep greesed
Old 03-09-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just went through a similiar deal yesterday. Sleeve, gusset, new front TF diff cover, exhaust spacers, and USA Alloy ball joints installed. I noticed last night while under my rig that the passenger side upper ball joint is cut/torn at least half way around and grease coming out. I plan on going by the shop first thing on Monday to show them. The ball joints were $200 on top of all the new stuff that was added and $771 in total labor. I sure hope they replace the new ball joint on their dime since they damaged it. It would be the right thing to do IMO. We shall see.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:09 AM
JK Newbie

don't risk it but just hoping the grease stays in there not to bad to do by yourself
Old 03-09-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd grease them before and after any off road trip and often if on road. I have a torn drag link boot and the joint is still fine after two years. Swapping ball joints is a PITA.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to keep them greased for now since it's a ton of work to just replace the boots. I'll have some free time this summer so maybe I'll make a day project to tackle a boot replacement. From watching the shop do it I know where to at least start now, and a good excuse for more tools.

Last edited by Tripletsi; 03-10-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just replaced all of mine with the Synergy joints. There is no possible way that I nicked any of them as they were in the box during the entire install process. But after I noticed every one of them pushing grease out a small "slit" in the boot, I assumed that's likely the way they come. I wouldn't sweat it.

Quick Reply: Help! Torn Ball Joint Boots