Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with tires and lift 35"

Old 04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tires and lift 35"

I am currently running 32" Cooper STTs on my 08 jk sahara 4 dr on stock rims. I am looking to upgrade to 35s for the summers with new rims (because of the salt in the winter I'll just put the 32s with stock rims back on). My questions are which tires do y'all prefer, Cooper STT, toyo open country, or nitto trail grappler? And when upgrading to the 35s what would I have to do pertaining to lifts (preferrably less than $800, spacers, regearing etc. Thanks guys!
Old 04-03-2010, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

I have 35x12.50x17 on BFGoodrich MT KM2. The tires have been awsome. Great traction and good on road handling. The mileage has been suprising as well. I am running a 4 inch suspension lift with a 1 inch body lift. You should really do at least a 2-3 inch lift before sticking something as big as a 35 under those fenders. Especially if you plan on doing ANY wheelin.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Default Anything else?

Did you have to regear your jeep or need any spacers for the tires? Also what have you heard about the 3.75 combo kit from rough country? It includes the body lift and it is not very expensive, comments?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are going to run the popular 35x12.5x18 on the stock rims you will need spacers to have enough clearance depth wise. The Spidertrax are the best choice.

You will also need some sort of lift to have enough clearance height wise. It would help if you fill in your Jeeps information so everyone can provide better advice.

The Sahara has 3.73 gears at best so you will need gears. The only to get this done for $800 is if you do the gears yourself and hopefully you already have a lift.

Regarding the tires, if you like the STTs stick with them they are a good tire and a good value. The Toyo's are more expensive and heavy. The trail grappler is relatively new but has received good reviews.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Default stock

OK, my jeep is all stock besides the 32" coopers. All the sahara stock gears, height, etc. I am looking into the procomp series 7098 rims in 18". I currently do NOT have a lift but I do want one to go with the cooper STT 35s i want. I have never had a lift so i basically just need to know everything I have to do to get a lift to fit my 35s. If you need any more info just ask.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lifting a Jeep to fit 35" is simple and there are plenty of options. However, different options require different additional modifications; some of them very expensive.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

Default tell me more

I am a student so I may not be in the market for these expensive options. I will, however, have a job all summer and I am looking to spend the majority on my jeep not including rims and tires I am not trying to spend more than $1000 dollars if possible (since i will already be spending over 2 grand on my rims/tires). Any help with the best way to go is appreciated!
Old 04-03-2010, 04:06 PM
JK Newbie

Default also

also I might add that I dont do a ton of offroading, but when I do I would like to have the lift and the 35s (plus they look awesome ). So if that plays any into the decision as I am on the highway more than off it.

Quick Reply: Help with tires and lift 35"