Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with tire selection

Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tire selection

I have an '07 Sahara with 18" stock wheels and tires. I need better tread for mud/sand without seriously altering road performance and mileage, it's a DD which gets minimal off-road use on primarily trails, some mud and wet/slippery/swampy terrain as well as sand. Have had trouble in sand with loss of traction.

I have 4.10 gears, auto, prefer not to do a lift but might consider a 2"/2.5" lift at most. Understand I can get 32" stock or 33" with that lift with no rubbing. Goal is simply better traction, not ground clearance. Would love to keep the budget under $1,000 for five tires (not incuding lift if I go that way). That likely means stock wheels, and the BFG KM2 or Nitto Terra Grapplers go over the budget range.

So, options? My top choice would be BFG A/T KM2's, but don't see a combination that fits the stock wheels. Adding five new wheels and a lift to get 33's will double my budget and cost me bumper/winch or the like, Jeep money is limited but I have a bonus coming in a few months.

My second option is to find someone replacing their Rubicon wheels/tires with aftermarket and pick up their old set cheap.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 10-27-2008, 04:47 PM
JK Super Freak

the 2nd option might be your best.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

the 2nd option will be your best. I have a set for sale but you are a little too far away to be worth it.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the Rubicon wheels and tires until I save my money for lift/tires/wheels and don't drive it as much. Really happy with the BFG MT in mostly highway driving.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

sand and mud are two different ventures. Yeah you can get away with a bfg at I always run bfg at. I dont do mud though. I mostly do dirt, rocks, woods, little mud, and snow. bfg at could be used in sand to better than a mt in sand. mud are great rocks, mud tires. The at are better in snow which your not qorried about at all. sand requires less nobbies so you dont sink. as far as highway goes at 's will wear better and be quieter/smooth. the mts though you wont really notice that much. Id go for what you think looks the best!
Old 10-27-2008, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a brand new set of rubiconwheels and tires with 100 miles on them but I want 850 for them. youd be into 900-925 shipped to you but they are brand new as an option. also you could get (to save money) steel 15 inch wheels (about 60 each for black) and get 33 ats for 150 each. that would put tou at about 850 too. if you do go bigger than 32 a lift will help you flex more so you dont snap your flares off.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

While I run KM2s, and would always recommend them for mud, sand is not the same.

Were I anywhere near sand, I would most definitely look into the Nitto Dune Grapplers. While they they are a bit showy, with their flame tread and gothic sidewall lettering, they are amazing in the sand.
They are available in a wide variety of sizes, and run a little less money than the KM2s. They are also a very quiet tire on the road.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the pro comps. They have their buy 3 get one free going on now. I have the MTs and luv em. They dig like all get out in the sand at full pressure but work really well in the sand when aired down. As for in the mud, don't know. Haven't tried em there as we don't have too much mud around here and I don't praticularly care for the clean up afterword.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers and they are a great all around tire. A little more aggressive than the AT tires. Ride is great, no noise..

Quick Reply: Help with tire selection