Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with tire issue

Old 04-24-2016, 09:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tire issue

So I went wheeling yesterday and I noticed my drivers side tire is pointing left while passenger tire is straight what could be the issue

Any help thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 09:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Antonio5664
So I went wheeling yesterday and I noticed my drivers side tire is pointing left while passenger tire is straight what could be the issue Any help thanks
Bent tie rod, mine had a nice taco in it too.

At least that's my first notion. Numerous stock components on these axles are comical. The ball joints, the steering components, the ends, the tubes, what have you.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also depending on how bad it's bent, assuming it is, you can simply adjust the toe out from the drivers side on the tie rod.

There is a pinch collar and a threaded end to adjust the toe in or out.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Something is bent or came loose. Either the tie-rod is messed up, or the piece of the the knuckle where it attaches to the tie-rod is bent (might be better words for this parts, but it's late).

Compare driver side knuckle to passenger side to see if something is bent (where the connect to the tie-rod) they should look very similar if not. Check these areas for signs of stress (looks like it bent) next move on to tie rod check for sloppiness in the ends, also check to make sure adjustments did not come loose. If no signs of wear or failure in these areas also check balljoints and wheel bearings (though if these have failed badly enough to make the wheels visibly out of alignment driving it would likely have been very awkward.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 04-24-2016, 09:48 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, just looked at tie rod it looks like that could be the issue came up on some rocks while climbing and the passenger side is all scraped up
Old 04-24-2016, 09:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I was reading this as it was toed out (driver's side tire turned more to the driver's side). If I got it backwards, and it is toed in, (driver's side turned more to the passenger side) then yeah most likely a bent tie-rod itself. Easy to spot easy to replace.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Yes drivers side tire turned more towards drivers side

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I was reading this as it was toed out (driver's side tire turned more to the driver's side). If I got it backwards, and it is toed in, (driver's side turned more to the passenger side) then yeah most likely a bent tie-rod itself. Easy to spot easy to replace.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:00 PM
JK Super Freak

I haven't bent my tie-rid yet, was assuming if you bent it it would cause more of a toe-in than a toe out. If it took a hit, that that is most likely the culprit. While I have bent knuckles on other vehicles I haven't heard much about that on the JK. If they look ok, and the tie-rod looks smashed that's what I would look into replacing.

If it isn't bent very badly, then you can most likely just adjust it to re-set your toe-in (I think proper toe-in is between 1/4 and an 1/8in), and go about your business.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:08 PM
JK Newbie

Getting my Ruff Stuff tie Rod tomorrow thanks for all the fast replies

Quick Reply: Help with tire issue