Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which tire would you buy in my situation?
Goodyear Duratrac
68.42%
Kelly Safari TSR
21.05%
Fierce Attitude M/T
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Help with tire choices

Old 02-05-2011, 03:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got tread wright's on my pickup, the high temps this week were 9-10 deg. and I haven't had a single problem. I'm running 285/75 17's

they are molded after the BFG T/A KO. the all terrain that BFG has been making for years, square shoulder no side tread to speak of. side lugs are only noticeable in deep mud. no help in snow, or rocks really. if you don't have beadlock rims you shouldn't be airing down past 18psi in rocky terrain anyhow.

for a DD that sees less than 100 miles of off road a month I'd stick with an AT tire.
I really like Yokohama Geolander AT. the tead doesn't look as aggressive as the duratrac but I've had three sets on different vehicles and have always gotten great performance and mileage.

I'd even go as far to say save your money a little longer and look for a good deal on the BFG T/A KO. proven to last, great traction off road, excellent on road, look great.

they run $194 for your size.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kelly safari are serious rockchuckers. I won't wheel behind a set. Windsheilds are too $$$
Old 02-05-2011, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wreckedFJC
I've got tread wright's on my pickup, the high temps this week were 9-10 deg. and I haven't had a single problem. I'm running 285/75 17's

they are molded after the BFG T/A KO. the all terrain that BFG has been making for years, square shoulder no side tread to speak of. side lugs are only noticeable in deep mud. no help in snow, or rocks really. if you don't have beadlock rims you shouldn't be airing down past 18psi in rocky terrain anyhow.

for a DD that sees less than 100 miles of off road a month I'd stick with an AT tire.
I really like Yokohama Geolander AT. the tead doesn't look as aggressive as the duratrac but I've had three sets on different vehicles and have always gotten great performance and mileage.

I'd even go as far to say save your money a little longer and look for a good deal on the BFG T/A KO. proven to last, great traction off road, excellent on road, look great.

they run $194 for your size.
Mine are the guard dawg mt pattern, 315/70/17. ill post updates as they come. I will second wreckedfjc suggesting the all terrain pattern, treadwrights mts are loud.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sephlaire
Please let me know how that goes... this company is high on my list right now but if there's a chance the tires will have problems in the cold... I need to know if they are helpful with correcting this or not.
So treadwright called me today about my warranty claim.
They are sending me 3 new tires. I am very happy with their customer service, hopfully these tires will do a bit better than the previous 3.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

That's good to know! Please update us when you receive the replacements. I'm going to order the AT version soon.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default Tires

I just bought Maxxus Buckshot XMT for my 2010 Wrangler sport. They are a pretty aggressive all-terrain tire that is quite on the highway. As long as you rotate them you should get at least 40,000 miles out of them.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

IV got 18" rims on mine and was considering Duratrac
but also considering Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't do much mudding / off-road (for shame), but will tell you the 32" DuraTrac's were absolutely OUTSTANDING in the ice storm we got in DFW last week. I was amazed at how well they gripped the ice. I'd spend the money again in a heartbeat.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by sephlaire
Those Nittos look good but they are above my price range... I've been looking at the 3 tires i mentioned above because I can get them for under $190 per tire.
Look at general grabber.

Quick Reply: Help with tire choices