Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which tire would you buy in my situation?
Goodyear Duratrac
68.42%
Kelly Safari TSR
21.05%
Fierce Attitude M/T
10.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Help with tire choices

Old 02-05-2011, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with tire choices

I'm struggling with choosing between 3 different tires and could use everyones helpful opinion on this. I'm driving a 2011 Wrangler Sport, still completely stock since it's a bit cold to put on my air compressor/CB/sway bar disco with the weather I've been having. (-20 Fahrenheit was the lowest so far this winter)

My jeep is my DD but I do some occasional trail driving (Mud/snow/dirt) once a month, sometimes 1 every other month.

The three tires I've been looking at are the Goodyear Duratrac, Kelly Safari TSR, and Fierce Attitude M/T. I really like the review on the duratrac and the siping it has, so far the other 2 tires have had good comments but I think those posts were all from 2010. The information I'm hoping to find out is what kind of tread life the Kelly tire and Fierce Tire have compared to the duratrac; and also how each perform against each other in snow/mud/rocks.

As far as the Fierce Attitude goes, I dont care about the name or the barb wire design on the sidewall, I just want a tires that is going to do good for the price and my purposes... and last long enough to justify the purchase.

Feel free to make a note of how strong the sidewall is as well if you know... I've already had to replace a stock tire for a rock tearing the sidewall.

The size I'm looking to get since im on a budget is 265/75/R16 for my stock wheels. as a side question, will I need spacers for whichever tire you recommended to not cause rubbing?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Default Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

Not sure about your question on spacers but I would highly recomend the Nitto Trail Grappler M/T's. GREAT TIRE! Super quite, possibly the most quite M/T on the road. I have owned BF Goodwrench, Toyo Open Country M/T and the Trail Grapplers are by far the best I have had. For what its worth.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not need spacers for the size you are looking at. Of the three tires you have listed I would probably go with the Kelly's they will probably be the best bang for your buck. Another tire in the same price range you might want to consider is the Cooper Discoverer S/T. They have good road manors and handle the trail well, I have been very happy with them. I have had mine on for over 50K miles and will probably get anothet 10-15k out of them before I put on on a new set before next winter.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Those Nittos look good but they are above my price range... I've been looking at the 3 tires i mentioned above because I can get them for under $190 per tire.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How about Treadwrigts?

Since you seem to be budget concious like I am, have you considered Treadwrights?

Thats what I'm going with for mine in the same size you're looking at.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

I love the pricing on treadwrights and the treads look decent. My only concern which I'm not sure if I should care or not....

I don't know much about treads on sidewalls and how functional they are in deep snow/mud... but the Duratrac/Kelly/Fierce have some kind of treads or something on part of the sidewall whereas the treadwrights seem to be bald sidewalls.

Does that make much of a difference? at minimum the 'designs' on the sidewall equal more rubber to help against punctures... but I don't know much... I'm very new to this stuff still.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

After some searching on this forum and looking up some reviews on google... it seems treadwrights get fantastic reviews and you can even choose your tire casing/sidewall design if they have that available. I think treadwright moved towards the top of my list right now since it is very affordable and well reviewed tire. It will also allow me to same the money I was willing to spend on duratracs and put that towards more stuff :-)

Thanks everyone for all the input so far!
Old 02-05-2011, 02:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sephlaire
I love the pricing on treadwrights and the treads look decent. My only concern which I'm not sure if I should care or not....

I don't know much about treads on sidewalls and how functional they are in deep snow/mud... but the Duratrac/Kelly/Fierce have some kind of treads or something on part of the sidewall whereas the treadwrights seem to be bald sidewalls.

Does that make much of a difference? at minimum the 'designs' on the sidewall equal more rubber to help against punctures... but I don't know much... I'm very new to this stuff still.
I put some treadrights on couple months back, im having issues with them not staying round. I have had them balanced and rotated twice now thinkin it was just a balancing issue. I had my gears done last week and asked the shop to check it out, they said they were able to see flat spots on 3 of the 4 tires.

I have noticed that the colder it is, the worse the ride is leading me to believe they are getting flat spots overnight.

I have submitted warranty claim with treadwright and i am waiting to hear how they are goin to make me happy. They assured me though i would be taken care of...we'll see, they seem to have good customer service so far.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Trail Grapplers are good all around mild manner tires.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by duci05
I put some treadrights on couple months back, im having issues with them not staying round. I have had them balanced and rotated twice now thinkin it was just a balancing issue. I had my gears done last week and asked the shop to check it out, they said they were able to see flat spots on 3 of the 4 tires.

I have noticed that the colder it is, the worse the ride is leading me to believe they are getting flat spots overnight.

I have submitted warranty claim with treadwright and i am waiting to hear how they are goin to make me happy. They assured me though i would be taken care of...we'll see, they seem to have good customer service so far.

Please let me know how that goes... this company is high on my list right now but if there's a chance the tires will have problems in the cold... I need to know if they are helpful with correcting this or not.

Quick Reply: Help with tire choices