Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Tire carrier advice.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd make the carrier into an "A" shape with the left side of the horizontal bar longer and with a latch on it. Then weld a hook onto the bumper for the latch to hook on to. Reference the LoD bumper.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:49 PM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i built a swing out tire carrier for my buddy's tj, I installed the power toggle clamp tilted it slightly downward and in. So when you closed it it would pull down on bumpstop and in. If that makes any sense. What im saying is if you decide to do the power toggle clamp idea you might want to play with the position of it.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:56 PM
-

Originally Posted by storch
With the lock and pivot so far from the tire it is like putting weigh on the end of a stick, i would try the turnbuckle idea, maybe use two of them at different locations, using the oem mount holes for mounting, I would make a large one piece ring bolted to the original tire carrier treaded holes and have one or two bumpstops that there is slight tension aginst when the gate is closed.

i like the idea of it opening with the gate anyway

He stated that he has 8 to 10 inches from the arm to the tailgate. heim joints work great when you get the angle and geometry right. But most tire carriers that swing out with the tailgate are not that long. His swing arm is on the face of the bumper. Most that swing out are on top. I believe 2 would be a headache not to mention very time consuming from keeping them from binding or working against each other. Good ideas though. That's what makes this forum fun. Get good ideas from alot of people.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Freak

thanks for the ideas

Quick Reply: Help! Tire carrier advice.