Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Tire carrier advice.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:21 PM
-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepstage
how about a latch like this ...[url w.comp4x4.com[/url] go to fabricator parts...then to latches................attached to one side of bumper then the handle side is attached to the swing arm. Adjustable with bolts. As you tighten handle it pulls swing arm against the bumper. Just a idea. you can also shop around for that type of latch I attached a photo sorry for the ugly latch drawing not very good with paint lolAttachment 131856
also you can order it from mc master carr with different load ratings as well as size.

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-28-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

If you attached it to your tailgate like the picture just above like the red one, is that the heim joints are adjustable so that when you close the tailgate it puts just enough tension on the bumpstop behind the main single arm so that it doesnt shake. You can order small heim joints on mcmaster carr website. Female threads then you can order all thread at the same and cut to length. The trick is that you have 8 to 10 inches so if you did do the tailgate type you would either fab a full plate not half plate like above and extend rectangle tubing or square out some witha adjustable bumpstop. But you have to worry about that long of a length. If you did choose to do that I would buy the heim joints get a piece of all thread and when you first do it have your tailgate closed then cut a length and tack weld all together then open tailgate to see if you have the angle right. If angle is wrong the tailgate wont open all the way. Or opens all the way but your spare tire carrier is against the side of your jeep. I hope this makes sense.
yeah that makes sense. another issue with attaching to tail gate is, i would have to remove the pin/ latch on the right side. to be able to open it in one motion... i would be hesistant to remove the pin
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Freak

how about a latch like this ...w w.comp4x4.com[/url] go to fabricator parts...then to latches................attached to one side of bumper then the handle side is attached to the swing arm. Adjustable with bolts. As you tighten handle it pulls swing arm against the bumper. Just a idea. you can also shop around for that type of latch I attached a photo sorry for the ugly latch drawing not very good with paint lolAttachment 131856
i like this idea a lot....
Old 03-01-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

i am assuming i would want a horizontal attaching latch, right?

this one...

[url/comp4x4.com/xcart/product.php?productid=303&cat=45&page=1[/url]

They also have this... $40-$50 more

[url/comp4x4.com/xcart/product.php?productid=302&cat=45&page=1[/url]

Last edited by mkjeep; 03-01-2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: no non sponsor clicky
Old 03-01-2011, 03:57 AM
JK Freak

also you can order it from mc master carr with different load ratings as well as size.
i cant seem to find them on mcmastercarr :(
Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Freak

Looks like the Benchmark Elite rear bumper and carrier. I wondered how this would work when they introduced it. I like the looks of the setup, but this is one reason I will not puchase anything that requires me to cut, as once you do, you live with what you have.
No consolation, but I do wish you the best in figuring out some way to make this work for you. Too much time and money to be wasted.
Old 03-01-2011, 05:48 AM
JK Freak

I still have the rear cross member. I could weld it back on if i decide to go another route. I really just dont want to. I waited way too long and spent the money already once. I dont want to do it again.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:28 PM
-

[QUOTE=Rafi;2130126]i am assuming i would want a horizontal attaching latch, right?

this one...

[url/comp4x4.com/xcart/product.php?productid=303&cat=45&page=1[/url]

this one i would think would work ..... cause if you attach it like that cad or google sketup thing you had...that i posted when you close it you would put tension on the bumpstop that is on the swing arm which would help on bouncing. Thats my idea. You could always get another bumpstop at autozone adjustable one. Depending on how thick the arm is you could drill and tap it and have one more bumpstop closer to the latch. both would be adjustable....your latch and the bumpstop. http://http://www.mcmaster.com/#pull...clamps/=b8ylis

pull action toggle clamp on mcmaster carr if that link doesnt work.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

I think the latch idea will work. U recommend the double locking horizontal (180 degree) one? I need to measure to figure which I would want.

I think the 90 degree one could work too
Old 03-01-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

With the lock and pivot so far from the tire it is like putting weigh on the end of a stick, i would try the turnbuckle idea, maybe use two of them at different locations, using the oem mount holes for mounting, I would make a large one piece ring bolted to the original tire carrier treaded holes and have one or two bumpstops that there is slight tension aginst when the gate is closed.

i like the idea of it opening with the gate anyway

Quick Reply: Help! Tire carrier advice.