Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! Tire carrier advice.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Tire carrier advice.

I recently purchased this rear bumper/ tire carrier and am very dissapointed. After a 4 month wait, cutting the rear cross member, tire will not stop shaking when driving around.

I am convinced that it is just a bad concept to have a single arm carrying the tire, and not have it mounted to the tail gate.

All the other designs i have seen are either mounted to both sides of the bumper. (latch on the left, rotating from the right side)

Or if its a single arm design like this, its attached to the tail gate.

I dont want this to turn into a shit-fest. I have contacted the person who has sold me it a number of times. He has assured me that he has installed them locally, with no shaking. But has not given me any real help on what to do with this problem.

I have worked on the jeep a lot. suspensions, bumpers, lockers, winch. I have worked on cars most of my life. I know how to put a nut on a bolt, and how to grease a pin. There is more to this issue.

The only other person i can find online that has this setup, also has the same issue i do and cant get it to stop.

I dont want it to turn into a " you should talk this over with blah blah blah"

i just want help to fix it. take my word for it, reguardless if you believe me or not. with the parts i have now, and how it is designed, and built. it will nto stop shaking. i have spent hours taking it off, putting it back on, flipping things, added, removing, tinkering with everything.

The tire shakes on any surface while driving at all time. There is play in the arm, the small bump stop does close to nothing to help. and i am 10000% convinced there is just no way to make this design work correctly. (unless you are happy with your tire shaking up and down the road)

I just need ideas.

1. Should i attach it to the tail gate.
2. should i move it up on top of the bumper, and somehow attach it to the other side (like most carrier are)

is there a carrier i could just use with this bumper?

The latch pin is on the right side, there a bolt that attaches everything. pictures are clear.

The carrier vibrates in all directions when driving. Mostly left to right, and up and down (driver to passenger.. and top to bottom.)

Im just so dissapointed, after waiting for so long, i really wanted something i would be able to enjoy driving. I hate it shaking so much, that i usually get out half way to wherever i am going and put it in the back.

help! please!

I have no tstarted a hate thread, and i am not starting this to make anyone look bad.
I just have no one else to get advice from about this. i respect the ideas people have here. And benchmark just isnt helping me. I dont know what else to do. I just want it to stop shaking when the tire is on there.

The tire movement is anywhere between 1-2" in every direction depending on the bump/ road surface.

it does not take much to get it to move either. Im talking pretty smooth road. highway or parking lot speeds.

I will consider anything from welding somesort of bracket together, to buying a carrier, to throwing this thing in the dumpster!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Just throwing this out there.
John has a huge wheel and tire on there. I'm sure it weighs a lot. I wonder if the added weight is a benefit to the shaking somehow.
Mine shakes also but not too bad. It nerves me to no end.
Maybe the other guy could weigh his tire and wheel for us for comparison.

Just a thought.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:53 PM
JK Freak

i also thought of that after looking at those pictures. you think my tire/wheel just doesnt weigh enough? that sucks if thats the problem...,
Old 02-28-2011, 02:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pivot point

That's too bad cuz it looks like a pretty cool design. I especially like the incorporated rear winch. Having a 3rd mounting point is the key. Maybe if you drilled a hole in the bumper behind the lowest diagonal hole in the arm, tack welded a thru bolt from the back side with a large wing nut and compression washer. Probably a better way is welding another arm that rests on the top of the bumper on the left side. I adjusted my Rugged Ridge carrier (another can of worms) so it would have weight at the latch side for this exact reason.
Just my
Old 02-28-2011, 02:09 PM
JK Freak

My tire/wheel weighs 85.0lbs.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:00 PM
JK Freak

drew up a rough idea of the bumper. helps visualize what i could do and how stupid it might look...

maybe across and then together

or simply to the tailgate. not sure exactly how though

need some sort of plate that goes where the existing bolts go, and then something like this... maybe?

problem with tail gate attachment is the length. would need to be 8-10 inches
Old 02-28-2011, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

I doubt my wheel tire set up is heavier than 85lbs... Probably close that that. I'll check tomorrow

Edit: I just looked up my tire weight and it's right at 60lbs. And I'm running the stock 17's. Those can't be more than 30lbs? I dunno Honestly. But I doubt the combo is more than 90 at max.

Last edited by Rafi; 02-28-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:32 PM
-

If you attached it to your tailgate like the picture just above like the red one, is that the heim joints are adjustable so that when you close the tailgate it puts just enough tension on the bumpstop behind the main single arm so that it doesnt shake. You can order small heim joints on mcmaster carr website. Female threads then you can order all thread at the same and cut to length. The trick is that you have 8 to 10 inches so if you did do the tailgate type you would either fab a full plate not half plate like above and extend rectangle tubing or square out some witha adjustable bumpstop. But you have to worry about that long of a length. If you did choose to do that I would buy the heim joints get a piece of all thread and when you first do it have your tailgate closed then cut a length and tack weld all together then open tailgate to see if you have the angle right. If angle is wrong the tailgate wont open all the way. Or opens all the way but your spare tire carrier is against the side of your jeep. I hope this makes sense.
Old 02-28-2011, 05:40 PM
-

Here is some pictures I took today. This is mine, how I did it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010396.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	131841Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010397.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	131842Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010398.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	131843
Old 02-28-2011, 06:09 PM
-

how about a latch like this ...w w.comp4x4.com[/url] go to fabricator parts...then to latches................attached to one side of bumper then the handle side is attached to the swing arm. Adjustable with bolts. As you tighten handle it pulls swing arm against the bumper. Just a idea. you can also shop around for that type of latch I attached a photo sorry for the ugly latch drawing not very good with paint lolClick image for larger version

Name:	latch angled.png
Views:	150
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	131856

Last edited by mkjeep; 02-28-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: no clicky to non sponsor please

Quick Reply: Help! Tire carrier advice.