Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP! Tie Rod Drag link shot...trip in 5 days.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Tie Rod Drag link shot...trip in 5 days.

So I took my JK in to Big O tires for a rotation got a call back a few hours later that my tie rod and drag link bearings are shot. He told me I need to replace with after market setup..probably currie.

Here's the problem..was going camping for 3 days starting next Saturday. If I order on Monday earliest it will come in is Thursday and I can't install Friday. So...should I still take the jk up to the mountains??? Its roughly 500 miles round trip, no wheeling.

I'm going to meet with them now and will post more. Please help me out. This trip has been planned with my family (son, wife) and parents and would hate to cancel after waiting all summer for it.

Also money is tight, so any thoughts on how to do this best, and right will help...

Thanks..
Old 08-13-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you weren't having any problems before when driving I think you should be fine. I've had some pretty messed up stuff on my JK and it still drove fine, not optimal but it worked fine.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Anyone?? Really need some answers on this
Old 08-14-2011, 05:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
So I took my JK in to Big O tires for a rotation got a call back a few hours later that my tie rod and drag link bearings are shot. He told me I need to replace with after market setup..probably currie.
Did they explain and/or show you what they meant by 'shot'? That will be the determining factor. The tie rod and drag link ends on mine can be rotated by hand, which means they are somewhat looser (the ball joints in the tie rod ends) than new, but they are by no means 'shot'. I am replacing them with an aftermarket drag link end and a new tie rod with new ends, but not because they are unsafe, I just don't think they should move as easily as turning the rod with your hand. If that is what Big O is referring to, I don't think you need cancel your trip, but you should be able to determine that by looking at your tie rod and drag link.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your in a timing pinch maybe just replace the tie rod ends with stock from the dealer and then upgrade with an after market after the trip. Also have seen bad posts regarding Currie tie rods. Look at Rock Krawler. They are stout.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by renpia
If your in a timing pinch maybe just replace the tie rod ends with stock from the dealer and then upgrade with an after market after the trip. Also have seen bad posts regarding Currie tie rods. Look at Rock Krawler. They are stout.
You can replace the drag link end at the pitman arm, and the driver's side tie rod end, but not the passenger side tie rod end. That requires a new oem tie rod. Ask me how I know...however, the tie rod with end only runs about $55 on some sites. Not sure what a dealer would charge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK_steering.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	195649
Old 08-16-2011, 04:15 AM
JK Super Freak

They showed me both and there is minor slop on the passenger side. I called david at north ridge and he said currie had discontinued their kit while they change the material. Spoke with a few shops and they all fell I will be ok, just no heavy wheeling. So I'm going to keep an eye on it until curie releases a new kit. Probably means I won't make my run at tin cup this weekend...bummer.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rdubb1031
They showed me both and there is minor slop on the passenger side. I called david at north ridge and he said currie had discontinued their kit while they change the material. Spoke with a few shops and they all fell I will be ok, just no heavy wheeling. So I'm going to keep an eye on it until curie releases a new kit. Probably means I won't make my run at tin cup this weekend...bummer.
What about posting up in your staging area for stock take-offs? I'm sure there are plenty of guys who have upgraded and have decent stockers laying around to give you.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by renpia
What about posting up in your staging area for stock take-offs? I'm sure there are plenty of guys who have upgraded and have decent stockers laying around to give you.
Good Call.. I think I'll try to track one down here real quick and bring the tools in case it breaks...

Quick Reply: HELP! Tie Rod Drag link shot...trip in 5 days.