Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help- Teraflex HD carrier/hinge vs ACE bumper/carrier vs. Teraflex w/ stock carrier

Old 10-31-2015, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help- Teraflex HD carrier/hinge vs ACE bumper/carrier vs. Teraflex w/ stock carrier

i purchased the Teraflex HD hinge and carrier, it's sitting in the garage. Then I read and saw pics of the carriers breaking. I got nervous and ordered an ACE rear bumper/carrier. It's due on Thursday. Now I'm on the fence about which one to use. I'm concerned the ACE will be too heavy for street use and put the 35" so high I can't see out the back.

I'm going to eat about $80 in shipping to send the teraflex back. I probably can't afford to return the ACE bumper if I decide I don't want that.

Arrrrg, what to do.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't think anyone has broken a TF carrier since the very first generation had an issue. I have had mine on for almost 60,000 miles with no issues and have wheeled a lot and have a 102lb tire/wheel combo.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2 disregard all that nonsense on the other site
Old 10-31-2015, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

But the issue is if I keep the teraflex, how do I return a 190 pounds of ACE bumper back to washington state? That will probably cost more than the bumper itself...
Old 10-31-2015, 09:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

try selling both locally and if one sells keep the other. Both are good products so my guess is if you sell either minus what it would cost you to ship them back somebody will bite.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no experience with the ACE.

I do have experience with the Teraflex. I will say I loved the one I had on my last JK and intend on getting another for my current JK.

I was on the waiting list when they were first introduced so I had the earliest possible version and never had an ounce of trouble with it. I installed mine properly but hey,that's just me.

The couple of failures they had were determined to be a combination of installer error and a weak point that resulted in the problem. The carrier design has been reinforced and when installed properly is very strong, but hey, what do I know?

That other site criticizes everything made by Teraflex. If Dennis from Teraflex walked on water, Eddie and all of his followers would say it's because he can't swim.
Old 10-31-2015, 10:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agree with comments on the Teraflex. No issues at all with mine and huge advantage not having a swing arm to open every time you need to access the back. Just my 2 cents
Old 10-31-2015, 11:00 AM
JK Newbie

I'm sorry that you got pulled into the negative "hype" and kool-aid drinkers from the other "forum". I was following a recent post about tire carrier options on said "forum" and it quickly turned into a bash session on Teraflex and on other members of the forum, including myself (the place is a circus).

Yes, there were a couple casualties in the first run of Teraflex's HD Tire Carrier in which the steel would stress and crack. I do believe that Teraflex honored their product and sent replacement units to those customers but that's besides the point. They went back to R&D and came out with a slightly redesigned adjustable carrier which addressed the issue. Of the units sold only about 2% had issues, that's based on my internet research and not on any first hand knowledge mind you. The other "forum" has been basing all of their arguments on that 2%. They show a few pictures of the cracks in the steel (from only two members I believe), call it a "Chinese piece of crap", claim its potentially lethal on the motorways (There is 0 evidence of any tire carrier breaking off completely and causing damage to another vehicle) and the rest of their arguments are left with calling the product and company "crap" based on only a few bad experiences. No real qualitative argument is ever given before they (including the owner of the "forum") start calling people "fanboys" and become generally insulting to even new members. Remember, the success of their site, Jeep builds and "JK Experience" trips are the result of sponsorship dollars and support. They will praise their benefactors before those who don't.

Back to your original question:
The Teraflex HD Tire Carrier IS a great option. It has the benefits of weight savings, simplicity of operation, customer support from Teraflex, expandability and lower cost compared to other carriers.

The Ace bumper/carrier option is MUCH stronger. There's no arguing that. It does weight significantly more but it has the benefits of strength, addition of a steel bumper, expandability, and their customer support is great as well. I believe cost is equal to the build quality as well.

The stock carrier will work if the 35" tire is secured properly with extended isolators. BUT, I would not be comfortable running a 95-110lb wheel and tire combo on the tailgate without additional support to the sheet metal of the tailgate itself, or removing the weight entirely. Yes, people have done it with success but, others haven't. It's not like a scientific experiment with a control group and two variables with predictable outcomes. It's more like drinking tequila with your friends and seeing who get's lucky. It's a gamble.

In the end I don't believe you can go wrong with either option. I wouldn't bother shipping either one, but rather sell it locally.

Hope that helps
Old 10-31-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

BTW, Hi Everyone!
Old 10-31-2015, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the TF combo and its as solid as it gets even while carrying ~110lbs. I don't know about the old versions, but I'd be pretty shocked to see this break.

The only breaking point I'd say is if you came down on a ledge super hard with the entire weight of the jeep. Even in the ledge situation, the TF carrier tucks your tire in further than the ace so less chances of it catching. If the ace does catch, it could still do some damage as its still partially attached to the tailgate. That said, the chances of damage on either is miniscule.

The ace looks pretty good and if you ever want a bumper upgrade, I'd say it's the way to go. If weight is your concern, TF all the way.

X2 on the local sell either way

Quick Reply: Help- Teraflex HD carrier/hinge vs ACE bumper/carrier vs. Teraflex w/ stock carrier