Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!!! tailgate shock problem !!!!

Old 11-10-2010, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP!!! tailgate shock problem !!!!

So i got the tailgate shock kit and went to install and followed the instructions and the shock bottoms out before the door will close. I really dont want to continue to drill holes all over my jeep tailgate! I noticed that the push rod of the shock is shorter then the conpression area. I have seen other people put their set up at an angle but i want to know if anyone has looked at an aftermarket shock to fit with the instructed drill hole areas.

here is the link of the kit i bought. and installed it just as shown

http://www.allthingsjeep.com/rpl-86614.html

i will post pics and video later for any ideas.

Last edited by toad; 11-10-2010 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Please no direct links to non-sponsored vendors.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've installed 2 of something very similar and both work fine... mine can be found here:

w w w.cooltechllc.com/jeep/jk_tailgate_gas_strut.shtml

I have 2 of the extreme duty items.

For installation I made sure my tailgate was fully opened and even held open with a shovel when I did my install.

If your tailgate was not fully opened or maybe the bracket isn't mounted far enough out on the tailgate may be the cause of your problem.

But, not having seen your exact issue you could also have a faulty "shock."

Last edited by membrain; 11-10-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well went out today and looked at it and ended up redrilling the hole on the bracket further back and a little bending of the bracket and it fits with a cunt hair from bottoming out when closed. ill post pics later. im just glad that i didnt have to drill more holes in the tailgate!!!

Last edited by deltaneo1; 11-10-2010 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got it figured out

Quick Reply: HELP!!! tailgate shock problem !!!!