Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with switching from Terraflex to AEV 3.5 Frankenlift

Old 02-27-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with switching from Terraflex to AEV 3.5 Frankenlift

Keep switching my lift around, due to adding and removing weight on my jeep.

I currently have 2.5" Terraflex coil lift. The back coils were replaced with 4" Terraflex Coils and the front springs have 1" spacers on them. JKS front and rear trackbars, JKS Discos and Currie Front upper control arms.

I am trying to make my Unlimited ride a little better/firmer for towing my offoad trailer and for on road handling. I would also like to get rid of the rake, the back is about 1/2" higher.

I just bought some AEV 3.5" Springs and Tuned Bilstein 5100 shocks that I have yet to install.

Wondering how this will pair up with the rest of my parts and if I should look into adding anything at the same time I put the springs and shocks on?

Should I add Front lower control arms or rear control arms at the same time?

Will the jeep still do pretty well on the trails in Colorado with the stiffer ride?

with the setup on my jeep bumper ect...will this setup be pretty even (no rake)?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130227_141321_resized.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	427558Click image for larger version

Name:	20130227_141344_resized.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	427559Click image for larger version

Name:	20130227_141409_resized.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	427560
Old 02-27-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your TeraFlex kit came with bump stops and provisions for longer brake lines? What about the front Drive Shaft? Those are the critical items, so if you have those items covered, you should be good. For sure you need a new front DS if you don't have one already.

A replacement lower control arm will help steering & handling if you don't have them now. Or you could add AEV drop brackets.

A high steer kit would help similarly.

Replacement track bars or brackets would help.

But those parts are recommended but not absolutely required.

The main thing I would suggest is that before you put the new springs in install the new shocks and test cycle the suspension to min and max travel and watch for two things. First, that the brake lines have enough extension. Second, that when the axle is in contact with the bumps stops, the shocks have more travel and have not bottomed out yet.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have yet to replace front drive shaft. It's on my long list.....and I will be doing it this summer.

Have front and rear adj track bars and a rear track bracket to raise roll center.

I have bump stops but they were for a 2.5" lift so I am thinking I should get bigger bump stops. I will check before I swap the springs out.

Using brackets for the brakelines but they seem to have enough length. Would you still recomend some SS braided lines?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Good feedback.

Bump stops serve two purposes, first and foremost, they prevent the longer shocks for bottoming out and being damaged on full spring compression. Second they keep larger ties from contacting the fenders. This is why I recommended installing the shocks without springs and cycling the suspension top make sure the bump stops match the shocks. Chances are your 2.5" bump stops will be fine. But then again, bump stops are not expensive and getting bump stops that match the springs and shocks would not hurt a thing if you wanted more peace of mind. But they are likely not required.

As far as brake lines? I have heard arguments for and against braided brake lines. You want to make sure you have enough extension, and you want to make sure that you route the brake lines to keep them from contact with tires or from binding on other parts as the suspension flexes.

I would put it together and then drive it to see if the handling is good enough. If not then you need to address control arm next. If control arms do not solve the problem completely then you move onto high steer kits etc.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I almost forgot. I would love to see pics of your install and final results. And love to hear you impressions of the spring swap to see if those progressive springs accomplished what you were looking for and to hear how they compare to the linear TF springs.

And nice looking rig by the way. I have the same color Sahara myself.

Quick Reply: Help with switching from Terraflex to AEV 3.5 Frankenlift