Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Surfboard Rack 4 Wrangler Unlimited

Old 07-31-2007, 04:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have put 10,000 miles on my jeep with the boards strapped to the top of either the soft top or the roll cage for most of them. I have had 6 longboards ranging from 8'0" - 9'4" on combined with a 6'3" and a 7'3" fish on at the same time for a 200 mile trip. Just run the strap between the door surround and the rollbar. Also, we have run this same way in the dead of winter with 5" of snow falling around us, and a 4" lift on 37s. I initially was going to build my own, but after just strapping them up there, I have determined it would be a waste of time and money to do anything else.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 AM
JK Newbie

I checked out Kargo Master, and their Congo Cage looks perfect. It's not exactly what I was looking for, but I think it will actually work better. With the Congo Cage, all I need to do is put surf rack pads on the front and rear bars and it's good to go. I emailed the company, and they said they would have the rack available for the JK by the end of August. We'll see.

Does anyone have one of these Congo Cages? If so, post some pics. I would like to see what it looks like with the top down. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:38 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Epic-Addictions Representative

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ey guys what straps work for this? For the hard top and for the roll bars. do i need to buy two sets of straps?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Here is my final surfboard carry solution. I just installed a Kargomaster Congo Cage and a couple of Block Surf rack pads. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	1959
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	5949  
Old 02-03-2008, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just planning on using my Block Surf soft rack pads and getting longer straps to go around either the roll cage or soft top.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was just looking today for surfboard racks and found what looks like a good solution in the wetsand tailgate rack. It is deigned to attach to a tailgate of a truck, but it could easily attach to a Jeep roll cage. Put one on front and one in back and you're set. Probably what I'll get.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Rescue green Unlimited that was at SEMA last year had a Yakima kit called the sportcage kit that allows the crossbars to be mounted on towers with the top off. I haven't seen any really good photos but there was a similar setup sold by Land Rover for soft top Defender 90's years ago and I believe that maker was Thule. I don't know the exact dia of the bars with padding but the wrangler and defender look similar in dia. Good luck. If you call Yakima, they are really helpful, there are even a couple of guys there who drive Jeeps.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Tailgate racks dood.... buy 2 of them, one for the front bar, and a second for the rear. They seem to work. They're great 'cause the pads have 2 straps to tie-down to the roll bar, and a third to tie-down the board. I'd have to check, but you might even be able to put the soft-top UP without having to take off the racks.

wetsand.com and islesurfboards.com both sell quality tailgate racks online for approx.. 15 bucks each.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was happy putting my 9'2" Robert August inside my old Trooper which is close in size to the JK unlimited. It was a tight fit, but I lived right in Huntington Beach. Not much use for the board in Colorado, though.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

I just updated another post but was for a windsurf board and ran across this one.
This is what I did to carry my 6'1" surf, works good, but if you had multiple surf boards you would need to figure something else out.

Front:

Rear:

Quick Reply: Help with Surfboard Rack 4 Wrangler Unlimited