Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help!! Steering wheel locked, Jeep wont start!!!

Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Steering wheel locked, Jeep wont start!!!

JKU 2013 automatic transmission with Factory installed remote starter.
For some reason i had to turn the steering wheel fully in one direction and switch off the Jeep. Now my Steering wheel has locked and wont budge at all. And the ignition key wont turn and wont even go to the first detent. Ive tried shaking the steering wheel and trying to start but it wont start. The dash lights up as normal. The Interior lights also light up. Battery is one week old. I even tried doing the battery reset by disconnecting the -ve terminal for 5 minutes and then trying everything again. But the Jeep just wont start. Ive tried with 3 different keys. Gear is in Park. Unable to change the gear too-which i think is normal.
What could be wrong?

regards
Simon
Old 10-17-2015, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the pressure off the wheel and turn the key. (Turning the wheel away from the locked side just enough to allow the key to turn)
Old 10-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Jack up the front so that both tires are off the ground. Have someone push on the one of the tires in the same direction you've got them turned, i.e., if turned to the right, have them push further to the right. While they do that, you try to turn the key in the ignition.

May work?

Quick Reply: Help!! Steering wheel locked, Jeep wont start!!!