Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP - small wire from JK wiring loom by mistake to the PLUS on battery, should MINUS

Old 10-17-2015, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - small wire from JK wiring loom by mistake to the PLUS on battery, should MINUS

All,

I did something incredibly STUPID today, put a small wire from the main loom (see picture) to the PLUS instead of MINUS on battery, when connected there was a click sound from the engine top (nothing I was worried about at that time), tried to start, all lights come on by no starter motor engagement, not even the usual solenoid........ obviously knew something was wrong, related it straight away to this cable as in only choose put the wire to the PLUS as it was the shorter route....... I was changing the battery at the time, didn't think at all..

JEEP won't start, nothing apart from lights on my dash........ AM I TOTALLY SCREWED? I have no idea where to start...... HELP HELP HELP

Are there any fuses I now need to replace........ I am desperate did I blow up the cars computer.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK battery.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	627660

Last edited by Markdsv; 10-17-2015 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:44 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for like half an hour and hook everything back up see if it resets the computer
Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I'm not sure what all is powered from that harness, but is sounds like you have blown at least one, if not more than one , fuse. I would start by checking the fuses to see which are blown, replace them, and go from there. Perhaps then disconnect the power for a few minutes, to give the computer a chance to reset itself, and hope that everything works after reconnecting battery.
You may have blown a relay, or a fuse. I hope nothing more serious than that was damaged.
There is likely a fuse to prevent serious damage to delicate components.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:09 PM
JK Freak

Thank guys, I have disconnect the battery and checked all the fuses.......... nothing I can find so far...... am I over looking something.

I reversed my jeep this morning to get beter access to the battery compartment, so it started no problem (never had a problem like this..... got jeeps a my life)

I am in Brunei (expat) so there is a dealer but not sure if he can do anything......

Borneo safari end of this week..... not sure if I am going to make it.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 10-17-2015, 07:22 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

If that wire is supposed to be connected to the negative terminal, it's just a ground wire. Connecting it to the positive terminal would be a direct short. That's not good for the battery.
Have you checked the condition of the battery since this happened? How long was it connected to the positive terminal.
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If that wire is supposed to be connected to the negative terminal, it's just a ground wire. Connecting it to the positive terminal would be a direct short. That's not good for the battery.
Have you checked the condition of the battery since this happened? How long was it connected to the positive terminal.
Thank you, aha it is a ground wire...... not sure if this is good or bad news..... It was maybe connected for 30seconds ....... I tried to start but nothing (how stupid can I be, total lapse of concentration). I took the wire off to get better access to change the battery, as the wire is quite short I thought (stupidly) ohh it is going to the plus...... indeed not so. when I connected it, it gave an once off 'click sound' coming from the top of the engine, thought it was a rely........

What can I do...... would it help to trailer it to the JEEP dealer to get it hooked up on the computer? I am totally desperate......

No smoke or smell though, nothing what so every.....

Battery still OK.

cheers,

Mark
Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

While the wire was hooked to the positive terminal, it would have been a direct short. It should have gotten pretty hot.
See what the battery voltage drops to while you are trying to start it.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

At this point, if everything is checking out, battery, no blown relays, fuses, I would be thinking the brains of the operation are scrambled! It may be time to get it connected to a dealer computer to run a diagnostics test.

Last edited by Wrangled; 10-18-2015 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:43 AM
JK Freak

Indeed I would have thought, for a short the wire should be really hot, if not burning but nothing what so ever........ Other feedback I got was that I potentially could have activated the immobiliser, didn't know Jeep had an immobiliser but again anything will do.

I have had my jeep on a transporter this afternoon of to the Jeep dealer in the capital, they are going to hook it up to the computer tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3595.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	627680

Good night...... almost 2300hrs hrs

cheers,

Mark

Quick Reply: HELP - small wire from JK wiring loom by mistake to the PLUS on battery, should MINUS