Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP... Rubicon Express Lift ...STUCK

Old 04-17-2016, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP... Rubicon Express Lift ...STUCK

I'm helping a buddy install a Rubicon Express 3.5 sport kit and we seem to have ran into a snag. We're stuck on the rear and I think we may have mixed up the springs, but I'm not sure how to tell the front from the rear. Neither have part numbers on them, however the are visually different. Right now we have the wider/shorter springs on the back and the suspension is MAXED out. We tried to swap the lander springs, but we couldn't get them to fit.

If someone can help me figure out how to determine what the issue is we'd really appreciate it.

I'm pretty tired, so I'm probably missing some key details that could help.

--James
Old 04-17-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Front springs should have a larger perch. The rear springs a smaller perch.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rear springs are also typically the shorter wider ones, so it sounds like you've got them right.

Some pictures might help though.

Are you having a hard time getting the new springs in? Not sure if I fully understand what your issue at hand is.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Yeah, I'm a bit confused by 'suspension is maxed out'... you do have the springs correct as stated above. The shorter springs go to the back.

If you mean you can't get the springs in, do you have the shocks disconnected? Also may need to disconnect your rear anti-sway bar to get the springs in.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the fast replies. What I mean when I say maxed out is just that, the springs are carrying the weight of the vehicle and there is no down travel left...like the springs are pushing the frame up and the axel down to the max extent. With the tires installed and the vehicles weight on the ground it sits so high that the kit shocks are about an inch too short. In all it added about 9" of lift.

If photos are still needed I can take them tomorrow...it's too dark now.

--James
Old 04-17-2016, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BAJA TYM
Thanks for the fast replies. What I mean when I say maxed out is just that, the springs are carrying the weight of the vehicle and there is no down travel left...like the springs are pushing the frame up and the axel down to the max extent. With the tires installed and the vehicles weight on the ground it sits so high that the kit shocks are about an inch too short. In all it added about 9" of lift.

--James
So I've got to ask... are you sure you have the springs sitting right side up? And that you have the rubber spacer installed the correct direction at the top?
Old 04-17-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
So I've got to ask... are you sure you have the springs sitting right side up? And that you have the rubber spacer installed the correct direction at the top?
Yes I'm sure. The isolator is on the top and seated with the large coil on top and the small coil seated on the bottom.
Old 04-17-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Yes I'm sure. The isolator is on the top and seated with the large coil on top and the small coil seated on the bottom.
Okay, just needed to make sure. Yep, I think it's time for some pictures when it's daylight.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
Okay, just needed to make sure. Yep, I think it's time for some pictures when it's daylight.
Will do, I'll snap some first thing tomorrow.

Thanks -- James
Old 04-17-2016, 05:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Definitely, post em up! I want to see a 9" lift!

Touch base with the mfg and figure out which exact coils you have.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-17-2016 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP... Rubicon Express Lift ...STUCK