Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help! repeaded alignment issues ...

Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! repeaded alignment issues ...

Ok forum members... Need your help. I have an '11 Rubi 2dr that has keeps going out of alignment. Yes, it's lifted (full traction premium plus) on 35's. I had the drivers front ball joint replaced this past weekend with an offset to help dial it in better... But this thing keeps losing alignment after about a week. No offload driving. It did it today again after driving over recessed railroad tracks. I have noticed a feeling like a slight play/lose/knocking in the front end... And have torqued everything, and even had the Tirebarn team check the front end when they were changing out the ball joint.

Anyone have experience with this? Any ideas as to potential cause? Much appreciation in advance.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM
JK Freak

Jack one front wheel up at a time and pull left and right, then top and bottom. They're heavy tires so give it a good go. Also grab your tie rid ends, check the feel as you rotate them and then push up on them from underneath, I've heard of some being shot in the vertical axis.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Flip94ta
Jack one front wheel up at a time and pull left and right, then top and bottom. They're heavy tires so give it a good go. Also grab your tie rid ends, check the feel as you rotate them and then push up on them from underneath, I've heard of some being shot in the vertical axis.
Thx. I'm familiar with checking the tie rod ends... But trying to move the wheel... Is that to check bearings?
Old 09-06-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Freak

Any other thoughts anyone?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to clarify. It doesn't sound like an alignment issue, it sounds like something else. The procedure given is the easiest way to check the balljoints. Youre just looking for slop at the ball joints instead of the hub. The ball joints on the jk are junk. Id think they'd of checked the other ones at the same time though. Another common problem is a lack of grease in the steering column, that causes a clunk in the steering on bumps. Best described as a thud you feel in the steering wheel. Any one with a GM truck knows what I'm talking about and the column issues they had, haha. The fix for myself and others is to get a needle attachment for your grease gun and add grease to the boot on the column. Took care of my issue. Sounds like you've already checked for loose trackbar and suspension. I'd also take a look at your swaybar endlinks to check the bushings.

Last edited by highwayman; 09-06-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Yup, the balljoints have plastic in them. Try to feel for movement, even an 1/8" will cause issues. A long lever to pry up on the wheel will help as well since you've got a heavy combo there. I've found several bad wheel bearings this way and one bad ball joint. You might search YouTube for a video.

Quick Reply: Help! repeaded alignment issues ...