Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!!! Rear outer axle seal leaking again!!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP!!! Rear outer axle seal leaking again!!

I installed a set of Nitros axle shafts in my 09 Rubicon and the drive side had a leak after the install. These axles come ready to bolt in, everything is pressed on. So after a couple of days, the seal started to leak. I checked everything and re installed them again and started to leak again. Went down to my local shop and had new seal and bearings pressed on. Now its leaking again. It did not leak before I installed the new axle shafts. What am I missing?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:05 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by rubiconjk09
I installed a set of Nitros axle shafts in my 09 Rubicon and the drive side had a leak after the install. These axles come ready to bolt in, everything is pressed on. So after a couple of days, the seal started to leak. I checked everything and re installed them again and started to leak again. Went down to my local shop and had new seal and bearings pressed on. Now its leaking again. It did not leak before I installed the new axle shafts. What am I missing?
Is it leaking a lot of just a bit. It might just be some oil in the tube as a result of the install so I would just keep cleaning it up for awhile and keep an eye on the different fluid.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was silicon sealant used on the outside of the bearing race when installing? If you don't it will eventually leak.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biggy
Is it leaking a lot of just a bit. It might just be some oil in the tube as a result of the install so I would just keep cleaning it up for awhile and keep an eye on the different fluid.
It's leaking enough to drip down the tire. I have cleaned it several times and it continues to leak.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 14JKU
Was silicon sealant used on the outside of the bearing race when installing? If you don't it will eventually leak.
I have not heard of this?? Has anyone else done this? It makes sense to me ...

Old 03-24-2014, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggy
He's talking about the rear axle bearing. There should always be some oil in the rear axle tube. Otherwise, the bearing would run dry and fail.

Originally Posted by 14JKU
No need to put silicone sealant on the outside of the bearing race. Even if you did, the oil will go through the bearing rollers anyway, as it's supposed to.

rubiconjk09,
The problem may be the axle shaft isn't smooth where the seal rides on it, or the axle shaft isn't concentric with the seal.
Are you sure the seal is installed with the open side toward the differential?
There is always the possibility what you are seeing is brake fluid leaking.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-24-2014 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
He's talking about the rear axle bearing. There should always be some oil in the rear axle tube. Otherwise, the bearing would run dry and fail. No need to put silicone sealant on the outside of the bearing race. Even if you did, the oil will go through the bearing rollers anyway, as it's supposed to. rubiconjk09, The problem may be the axle shaft isn't smooth where the seal rides on it, or the axle shaft isn't concentric with the seal. Are you sure the seal is installed with the open side toward the differential? There is always the possibility what you are seeing is brake fluid leaking.
It's leaking the same way has the nitros installed seal and the Yukon seal I had installed by my local jeep shop. Dripping down to the tire. It's not brake fluid, when I removed the rotor it's leaking from the axle shaft and it smells like diff fluid. Could something be wrong with the retaining bracket. The inner axle housing was cleaned and was smooth. Also, it never leaked with the factory stock shafts.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Rear outer axle seal leaking again!!