Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help reading alignment sheet/Fixing Steering

Old 08-26-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help reading alignment sheet/Fixing Steering

2011 JK Sport
33" tires 15" wheels

I recently installed the Teraflex 2.5" BB. Everything went smooth aside for a rust sway bar link nut. After finishing the install I ran out of time (put off) loosening and tightening the control arm bolts. I also checked the steering alignment and the wheel looked straight.

The problem is that I am getting some "flighty" steering around turns and my wheel turning when going over medium to large sized bumps. I also recently developed a single "clunk" sound when turning at full lock in 4wd while going up a slight incline.

I had my buddy throw it on the alignment machine to get a print up because I was curious about caster/camber and such. I also had him check u-joints and bushings and the see if anything was loose. First thing he grabbed was my track bar which was very loose. It looked as though the bolt wasnt loose but that the bushing was shot. I have a feeling that this was the clunk sound as it mostly happened when one tire lifted while turning.

Ill post the results of the alignment but first a few questions:

Havent done anything to the track bar, is it possible for this to happen to it with just a BB?
What other components could help me correct this steering issue (control arms?)
Should i loosen and tighten the control arm bolts before i do anything?
Ive seen kits for grade 8 bolts to replace certain parts of the steering. Do these help as well?

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140826_211222_560.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	573080
Old 08-26-2014, 05:23 PM
JK Freak

It seems your alignment isn't that far off except for your caster. Only way to adjust that is to add adjustable control arms, or add geometry brackets.
A loose bushing in the trackbar is BAD. I'd recommend getting an adjustable one, and add the Grade 8 bolts for that.
It's always recommended to loosen the control arm bolts and retorque whenever you change height.

Last edited by Billbikes; 08-26-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Should i loosen and tighten the control arm bolts before i do anything?
Yep, then see if there is any change in the steering.

What other components could help me correct this steering issue (control arms?)
Cam bolts, drop brackets, longer/shorter fixed control arms, adjustable control arms. Look beyond the prices and check the positives/negatives for each before deciding.

Havent done anything to the track bar, is it possible for this to happen to it with just a BB?
Worn bushings? No lift needed for that. It happens.

Ive seen kits for grade 8 bolts to replace certain parts of the steering. Do these help as well?
Go up to the write-ups area. The thread stuck right to the top (about death wobble) has a link to a video that talks about replacing bolts.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:29 PM
Former Vendor

Billbikes said it very well. Your caster is very low at 2.2 degrees you should expect flight steering.

The steering wheel wobbles when hitting bumps because of poor drag link to track bar geometry.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:49 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys! Got the Teraflex Monster track bar and the track bar and control arm bolt kit. Once these are installed im going to get the adjustable control arms. One last questions:

Should I get adjustable lower or upper control arms to fix my caster. With that number from my alignment being so low, which direction do i need to adjust the control arms?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

With a 2.5" BB, either upper or lower will be fine. They do the same thing, just backwards of each other.

Front lower - lengthen to tilt the bottom of the housing forward - lowers the pinion - raises the caster.
Front upper - shorten to tilt the top of the housing backward - lowers the pinion - raises the caster.

Uppers are generally cheaper. Lowers are generally considered to be the better choice, since you are lengthening the wheelbase (albeit minimally), and aftermarket arms are beefier and can handle offroad abuse better the stock arms hanging down there.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

I'd like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I replaced the track bar with the teraflex monster adjustable one (that thing is beefy!!) and replaced the bolts in both the front and rear track bars, and the front and rear LCA's. After straightening out the steering wheel this thing rides like a dream. Just replacing the track bar stiffened everything up but re tourqing the LCAs with new hardware helped fix my caster. I noticed it when I went to reconnect the LCA to the axle and I had to put my jack on the back of the axle to rotate it forward.

Again thanks so much guys. It feels great to have sure footing under the JK again!

Quick Reply: Help reading alignment sheet/Fixing Steering