Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with RC BB install

Old 03-04-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with RC BB install

I'm hoping someone has a trick for installing the rear spring spacers... I'm finding it very difficult with just two hands to - while lying on my back in the snow - to hold the washer/nut above the spring bucket, hold the spacer in place, thread the bolt into said washer/nut combo and tighten it all without cross-threading things?

I've put some weird shit together but this is making me go mental.

I know others have done this... a little help?

Old 03-05-2011, 03:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

haha - snow's what I got. A nice heated garage with a slab floor & lift are things I dream of. So until I win the lottery my 'garage' is my driveway... except in the winter when my driveway is too full of snow then I use the shoulder of the road.

here's my garage for this project:

I'm not letting the fact that I have crap to work with stop me from having fun. I'm just stuck on the spring spacer install and still looking for tips before I get back into my snowsuit and crawl under my Jeep.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:19 AM
JK Newbie

I actually ended up not reading the directions and initially installed it without the retainer in place. Just the spring and axle holding the spring and spacer in.
When I realized, I went back in and locked the spacer in with an extension. It made it easier but had to do it almost blind, due to not being able to see inside the spacer from underneath.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

FYI, don't be a dumbass like me. check that the bolts thread into the nuts supplied for the rear spacer. There are bolts that have different threads but look the same. I tried for about a half hour to get the damn thing threaded to realize i had the wrong bolts. There is no special way to do it. Just gotta get in there and tackle it.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just did this to my jeep, had mine on completely lifted in about 45 inutes.. had a lift, trans jack and air tools. But anyways I used a shallow socket and short extension.. using 1 hand throw the spacer up on top and just hold it still with a finger, using the other hand stick the bolt socket and extension thru the spacer and lift it all up as a unit.. bolt will be sticking out fat enough to see to thread it in.. once it's started I airgunned mine in place. But a ratchet and wrench will do the same. Hope this helps
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks all - ended up just being a lot of suck it up and get at it. LOL One thing I found out for the second side: if you're under the Jeep reaching up, it helps to have someone else looking through the tiny gap between the frame and body to help get things lined up.

Funny thing - I had to use the stock scissor jack between the axle and the frame to drop the axle enough to get the spring back in.

All done except the front passenger side brake line extension. I *cannot* figure out how to drop the brake line far enough to use the extension.

Ideas?

Old 03-05-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Gaidheal
All done except the front passenger side brake line extension. I *cannot* figure out how to drop the brake line far enough to use the extension.

Ideas?

This is why I hate those silly drop brackets.... don't blame me if you brake you line, but...

You are going to have to give a good little tug to your hard line to "ask" it to come down a little farther

But, do be careful not to break you brakes
Old 03-05-2011, 07:56 PM
JK Super Freak

haha - snow's what I got. A nice heated garage with a slab floor & lift are things I dream of. So until I win the lottery my 'garage' is my driveway... except in the winter when my driveway is too full of snow then I use the shoulder of the road.

I'm not letting the fact that I have crap to work with stop me from having fun. I'm just stuck on the spring spacer install and still looking for tips before I get back into my snowsuit and crawl under my Jeep.

Dude, that sux...
I guess im spoiled though

Old 03-05-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jmat1980
Dude, that sux...
I guess im spoiled though

Can I move in?
Old 03-05-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all - ended up just being a lot of suck it up and get at it. LOL One thing I found out for the second side: if you're under the Jeep reaching up, it helps to have someone else looking through the tiny gap between the frame and body to help get things lined up.

Funny thing - I had to use the stock scissor jack between the axle and the frame to drop the axle enough to get the spring back in.

Ideas?

You gotta bend your hard brakeline , carefully and slowly

Quick Reply: Help with RC BB install