Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help por favor

Old 03-27-2010, 12:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help por favor

Alright, I have tried the search function and the "dig through every noob FAQ" method and have found nothing thus far on my question. So Im posing the question to you fine gentlemen in the hope that you will lend a JK Newbie a helping hand.

I am in the process of lifting my 2007 Sahara Unlimited. I have bought the lift (Teraflex 4" with fullflex arms) found a shop to do the install, and I have choosen to regear to 5.13's since Im adding 35x12.50' to the mix. My question comes up in reference to drive shafts, I know the front has got to be replaced due to the lift and so I figued Id do both at the same time. When I called to place my order they said they needed a DS length measurement. Their inlay the problem...Im stationed in Japan and my JK is in Florida.

So my question is: Is the measurement critical to DS performance? or can we use figures from some JK's that have the same lift, equip ect. and guessimate a length? any and all input is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes it is. They fit it so you have a good amount of travel on the drive shaft in both directions. If you give them numbers that are either to short or to long then there is a chance that you could either fully compress the drive shaft or extend it to far when you flex it out. Both could end up being a pain in the ass on the trail.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lang1864
Yes it is. They fit it so you have a good amount of travel on the drive shaft in both directions. If you give them numbers that are either to short or to long then there is a chance that you could either fully compress the drive shaft or extend it to far when you flex it out. Both could end up being a pain in the ass on the trail.
Ok so should I measure before the lift or after? shouldnt make a difference right? Thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 01:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

you need to measure after the lift is on. the DS maker should have a diagram on how they want you to measure it.
Old 03-27-2010, 01:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default ok

Ok, I have the measurement diagram from Tom Woods but like I said Im in Japan and my JK is in Florida (My bro is getting the work done for me). Do you think the stock DS would be ok if I put the lift, wheels, tires and gears but waited till I measured and got the new DS in?
Old 03-27-2010, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk0311
Ok, I have the measurement diagram from Tom Woods but like I said Im in Japan and my JK is in Florida (My bro is getting the work done for me). Do you think the stock DS would be ok if I put the lift, wheels, tires and gears but waited till I measured and got the new DS in?
You should be fine driving around on the stock shafts on the street. Upon articulation, like when wheeling< is when you really need those shafts.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default right on

Originally Posted by CJ7nvrstk
You should be fine driving around on the stock shafts on the street. Upon articulation, like when wheeling< is when you really need those shafts.
Ok I think Im on the same page as you guys. So as long as I dont do any wheeling I should be good with the TF 4" lift with the stock DS's? And then I should measure the stock DS in accordance with the maker of the new shafts recommendations, prior to ordering the new DS's, am I right?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

yea you should be fine. just make sure when you are measuring for the shafts you are very precise. The little bit can make a difference. good luck
Old 03-27-2010, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tango yankee

Originally Posted by lang1864
yea you should be fine. just make sure when you are measuring for the shafts you are very precise. The little bit can make a difference. good luck
Thanks for all the help guys! If anyone else has something to offer please dont hesitate to speak up, Im no pro at this but Im damn determined to do this right, I guess its the Marine in me lol, thanks again!

Old 03-27-2010, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jk0311
Thanks for all the help guys! If anyone else has something to offer please dont hesitate to speak up, Im no pro at this but Im damn determined to do this right, I guess its the Marine in me lol, thanks again!

Ooooh f'n Rahhhhh there Devil Dog. Hey those 35's are gonna look abit small on that lift, 37's would be better.

Quick Reply: help por favor