Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help please! :( (tire size question)

Old 04-05-2011, 09:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! :( (tire size question)

I have posted a question on this and also searched a TON on this. Folks, I need a simple yes or no answer to this and preferable from those that have ran this set up.

I have a 2010 Unlimited Sport.

Currently its all stock but i want to get new rims. I'm am getting Cragar 16x8 soft 8s with 5" backspacing and +12.00mm offset.

HERE IS MY QUESTION FOR YOU.

- Will 285/75/16s rub AT ALL on this rim on stock suspension with no lift??????? I am not getting a lift. And I do not want to get spacers.

I just need to know if this will rub at full turn, at full flex, at all. I sure appreciate your help! I am about to buy tires and rims and just can't figure this out. I am hearing from some "yes they will rub" and some say "I am running that set-up and no problems." I will be doing some off-roading so take that into account. If these will rub, I guess 265/75/16s are in order huh. Thanks guys!!!!!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

With all the variables, NO ONE can give you a definite answer. Just best guesses based on their specific setups. My opinion - get the bigger tires and deal with any rubbing if/when it happens.

You can easily add a few washers to bring in the steer stops. Or trim that cheap plastic skid. Or trim the lip on the fenders. Or add a bit more bumpstop. Or add small coil spacers. Or add a body lift. Or...
Old 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArkJK
I have posted a question on this and also searched a TON on this. Folks, I need a simple yes or no answer to this and preferable from those that have ran this set up.

Currently its all stock but i want to get new rims. I'm am getting Cragar 16x8 soft 8s with 5" backspacing and +12.00mm offset.

- Will 285/75/16s rub AT ALL on this rim on stock suspension with no lift??????? I am not getting a lift. And I do not want to get spacers.

I just need to know if this will rub at full turn, at full flex, at all. I sure appreciate your help! I am about to buy tires and rims and just can't figure this out. I am hearing from some "yes they will rub" and some say "I am running that set-up and no problems." I will be doing some off-roading so take that into account. If these will rub, I guess 265/75/16s are in order huh. Thanks guys!!!!!
I'm not sure exactly because I don't run those. I can't see them rubbing though. If you want to be 100% sure, I'd find out what the backspacing is on the stock rims. I would think as long as your backspacing isn't bigger (I think I'm explaining that right) you shouldn't have any issues.

I will tell you this though. I have steel 16" rims with 5" backspacing. When I first put them on with my tires, I didn't have a lift and they BARELY rubbed. I had to be turning all the way to the left hard and then they'd rub a little. I honestly think you'd be fine. My 35" tire measurement was 315/75/16 btw. So they're just a little bit wider I believe than the 265/75/16's. I think that first number is the tread width.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Newbie

With Metric sizing the first number is the width, the second number is the height in percentage of width, and the third number is rim diameter. So, 315 are 30 mm wider than 285, or 0.8 inches (315mm=12.4in, 285mm=11.2in).

Stock backspacing is 6.25 inches (at least for my wheels).

Don't know if they will rub. I think the change in backspacing will offset the change in width. But you're also increasing the overall diameter 0.75 inches.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ArkJK

as I posted in the other thread they will rub on the air damn at full lock, you can either trim it or remove it, and yes I have run 285 75 16 on 16" craigers on my jk
Old 04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rexicon
as I posted in the other thread they will rub on the air damn at full lock, you can either trim it or remove it, and yes I have run 285 75 16 on 16" craigers on my jk
Yeah I saw your reply after I posted this. Thanks! So is the air dam easy to remove? (Let me guess, a search could pull up a lot of info on this. )
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It is a cheap plastic skid. Just run over a few rocks and it'll rip itself right off.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to search, grab the air dam and pull it will come off
or it's only attached with plastic clips you can remove said clips or drill them out
Old 04-06-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone else with thoughts on this? Anyone out there running 285/75/16s on stock suspension with 16x8 rims with 5" of BS???? Would like to hear from some more people so I can feel all warm and fuzzy about it. ha

Help me pick a tire!

a) 285/75/16s
b) 265/75/16s

Edit: So the 265s (I'm looking at getting the TreadWright Warden ATs by the way) are smaller diameter than my current Wrangler SR-As from what I'm seeing in my research....is that right??? :(

I think I have sold my current rims and tires so time to order my new rims and tires!

Thanks!

Last edited by ArkJK; 04-06-2011 at 06:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Help please! :( (tire size question)