Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help please. Axel or wheel bearing?

Old 04-08-2013, 04:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please. Axel or wheel bearing?

So I did a u turn in a parking lot yesterday and a really loud squeal/grind has started. It has not gone away. My jeep rides fine. I did go through some mud the night before.
It sounds like metal on metal and its LOUD. I thought brakes at first, or dirt jammed in the pads or shield. I took the wheel off, took off the caliper and pads and flushed everything clean withe garden hose. The noise is still there. I didn't notice any noticeable play in the wheel up and down when I had it lifted. When I turned the rotor with the wheel off I could hear the grinding friction which I thought was coming from the axel tube right behind the plastic grommet thing. I'm not very familiar with mechanical stuff. But to me it seems like the axel something or other. Not the bearing. Had the dealer listen to it and he said probably the bearing. It's the front drivers side. 08, and I run 35,s in the summer.
Wheel bearing I assume wouldn't be covered under powertrain, but would the axel? Thanks. Any input would be helpful.
Cheers

Quick Reply: Help please. Axel or wheel bearing?