Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Pinion Nut Removal

Old 08-19-2010, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Pinion Nut Removal

Originally Posted by JK_Sport
1 1/4, 1 1/8, and 1 5/16 are the sockets needed. Front diff, transfer case, and rear diff all have different sizes. Did mine last week. PITA tracking down the 1 5/16.
Pretty sure 1 5/16 is the same as a 35mm
If you are doing the teraflex make sure they are all thin wall
Sockets
And we did my crush sleeve and pinion nut to feel, you could tell the difference from one turn too many to one too few
Good luck
Old 08-19-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the sizes.... Sears had the ones i needed... of course 2 were only about 7 bucks each.. the 1-5/16 socket was 17 bucks.....

oh well, thanks again
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

For what it's worth, it took 600-650 ft-lb to crush the crush sleeve when we did two jk44 front ends. We put the crush sleeve in a cheaper 10T press just to see what it would do and we bent the press and did not crush the sleeve. There's no way that a regular impact is going to over-do it.

I would throw a new nut on it because they are cheap and prevailing torque lock nuts only work as intended the first time.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

FWIW, I just installed a Tom Woods shaft and the instructions said to torque the pinion and the tc to 160#s and run it. I called my dealer and he confirmed both. That's what I did. The TW shaft had to be returned so I put the stock shaft beck on to 160#s at both ends. My dealer has to replace an axle seal next week and I will have him check the preload to see where it's at to be sure. Both nuts came off with a 1/2" air impact with ease.

Quick Reply: Help with Pinion Nut Removal