Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help with Pinion Nut / Preload Issue

Old 11-23-2018, 01:14 AM
lyd
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found out the hard way after breaking 2 breaker bars, the key to crushing the sleeve is to have a metal plate bolted to the yoke which stops at the gas tank and prevents the yoke from moving while applying massive force(some like 300ft lbs) on the tightening wrench.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

During the factory build the crush sleeves are collapsed by machine. Takes a lot of force. In a shop it's almost essential you use a long breaker bar and something to counter hold the yoke. Also, the crush sleeves provided in some of the aftermarket install kits require more force than the stock sleeves. Any way you do it, it's a big PITA.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought a torque multiplier to do mine. its still a pain to crush it but with a 4 to1 ratio in the multiplier it makes life so much easier.

Quick Reply: Help with Pinion Nut / Preload Issue