Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

HELP!!!! P0420 & P0153 codes

Old 09-26-2023, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! P0420 & P0153 codes

I have a 2007 Wrangler, we replaced the complete exhaust system from the manifold back about 18 months ago and replaced all the O2 sensors, Recently my check engine light came on, upon checking with a code reader, code P0153 O2 sensor 2/1 Slow Response came on. I cleared the code, thinking it wasn't possible for the O2 sensor to be bad already, I now not a smart thing to do. Then the check engine reappeared the next day with the same P0153 & along with P0133 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response Bank 1 Sensor 1 & P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Position Sensor Circuit Low. We replaced both O2 sensors again and cleaned the EGR value. Cleared the coded and now a day later the check engine light is back!!. Now showing codes P0153 O2 sensor 2/1 and P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Bank 1. Any suggestions on what could be happening? Other than the check engine light staring me in the face, nothing appears to be wrong with the Jeep. No rough idol, no stubble or sluggish engine. We are stumped and I would rather not have to take to my local dealer it this is something we can handle. Any help, ideas or suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a 2007, can you live with the CEL light on if it is running Primo and you have no E Testing in your area? I have been driving for years with lots of dash lights on, airbag, tpms, abs, and CEL ( a huge chunk of ice destroyed my Evap Cannister, bypassed it). Like a xmas tree lit up in front of me. All Good
Old 09-26-2023, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a 2007, I do not have Emissions in my area and the check engine light doesn't bother me. I just don't want it to cause other issues by not getting something fixed that can cause some type of failure in the engine. I've read this is an issue that needs to be addressed ASAP.
Old 09-26-2023, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

On mine the EGR, the 4 O2 sensors heater circuits and back up lamp are all grounding together, low passenger side engine block. With the driving elements here they are prone to grounding failures over time.
The following users liked this post:
morris14 (09-26-2023)

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! P0420 & P0153 codes