Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

help with oil leak.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snytribe
Thanks for your help. One more question for you of you don't mind. How long did you go with the bad shock? Wondering if I need to replace mine with one of the original one until I get a replacement? Again thanks.
Mine was a slow leak over a period of a month/1,500 miles before I contacted OME. Also it was a rear shock and don't know what percentage of "Shock absorbsion" it had left. The ride did'nt seem to change, just noticed the leak.

It could be dangerous in an invasive manueuver, BUT I would drive it as is, if they can get you a new shock in a week or two.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Again thanks for the help. I will take it easy to and from work. Hopefully quadratec can get one out soon without a hassle.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

No hassle, new one on its way.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default shocks

Just curious , are they sending 4 new shock of the right size? maybe being that they were to long you compressed one to far , and that is the reason it leaked . I would make sure you get what you paid for.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

They are sending one. Hoping there will not be any more problems. At some point I would like to go to a 2.5" lift, and would be nice to already have the shocks. They say this should not be what caused the leak. It is a question I asked. I do not know enough about shocks to know if that could happen.. Will take anyone's two cents on this though.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you really should cycle your suspension and make sure your shocks are not pulling double duty as bump stops... but i can pretty much tell you for certain they are and that this will most likely happen again.your options are to add to your bump stop length and reduce your up travel or get a new set of shocks with the correct travel for your application..
Old 09-08-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nvertflyer
you really should cycle your suspension and make sure your shocks are not pulling double duty as bump stops... but i can pretty much tell you for certain they are and that this will most likely happen again.your options are to add to your bump stop length and reduce your up travel or get a new set of shocks with the correct travel for your application..
Would this be a problem during daily driving or just when offload? Any thoughts or the bump stops?
Old 09-08-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

if you wheel your rig a lot then the loss of up travel would be unwanted but if you really only use it on the street then the loss would not really effect you much...kind of depends on what you do with it ...on the positive side you will have more down travel but now at full down travel you may need to extend your brake lines or add coil retainers to prevent your coils from unseating...there really is a balance to a correct suspension set up...
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nvertflyer
if you wheel your rig a lot then the loss of up travel would be unwanted but if you really only use it on the street then the loss would not really effect you much...kind of depends on what you do with it ...on the positive side you will have more down travel but now at full down travel you may need to extend your brake lines or add coil retainers to prevent your coils from unseating...there really is a balance to a correct suspension set up...
Thanks, this helps a lot. Obviously I could still use some more help. Would like to add coils for a 2.5" lift. Up from the 1.75" pucks on my stock Sahara coils. Do not off road often. Actually first time was two weeks ago. Liked it a lot and will definitely do it again. Though this will continually to be my daily driver. Do you think that longer bump stops will do the trick until I get new coils?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I'll have a set of 2.5" Teraflex coils for sale as soon as I get my new Evo coils in this weekend. Just thought I'd put it out there in case you're looking to save a few pennies

Quick Reply: help with oil leak.