Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help on noise from steering?

Old 07-05-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on noise from steering?

This weekend I was in a situation where I had to make a sharp left turn into a steep incline. At full turn there was a very loud metal to metal continuous popping sound coming from the front end until I was able to steer back towards center some for the climb. It did not sound like any rubbing I have heard before from the tire hitting the plastic guard on the front.

Sway bars were disconnected. I have a simple setup. Tereflex 1.5 leveling kit with 275/70 18 (33's). Anyone experience this before? Did it do any damage I cannot see? What can I do to prevent in the future?

Any assistacne would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by swpierson
This weekend I was in a situation where I had to make a sharp left turn into a steep incline. At full turn there was a very loud metal to metal continuous popping sound coming from the front end until I was able to steer back towards center some for the climb. It did not sound like any rubbing I have heard before from the tire hitting the plastic guard on the front.

Sway bars were disconnected. I have a simple setup. Tereflex 1.5 leveling kit with 275/70 18 (33's). Anyone experience this before? Did it do any damage I cannot see? What can I do to prevent in the future?

Any assistacne would be greatly appreciated.
Are you sure it wasn't tire rub? Inspect closely for rubbed off dirt or paint. What is your wheel backspacing?
Old 07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Are you sure it wasn't tire rub? Inspect closely for rubbed off dirt or paint. What is your wheel backspacing?
Wheel spacing is stock. It really sounded like metal popping. Could it have been the tire hitting the swaybar or hardware to stow the swaybar? It does look like a small amount of rash on the inside nubs of the tire.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm assuming you were in 4WD at the time and you had your wheels cranked. If so, my guess would be your ujoints clicking. They tend to do that at full lock or bind. With RCVs, I don't have to listen to that horrible noise anymore.

Quick Reply: Help on noise from steering?